* Define use-package twice for some packages
@ 2023-12-25  0:56 Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2023-12-25  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey,

I'm using use-package to organize my configuration as so many.
However I want to separate my personal information from my configuration
so I can share it easier with the public and my girl friend.

Does it work when I first define my package configuration and then
define it, in a separate file, again?

E.g.:
#+begin_src elisp
(use-package circe
  ;; settings and stuff that can be in public
  :config
  ;; ...
  )

;; new file
(use-package circe
  ;; settings which are private
  :config
  ;; ...
  )
#+end_src

Br,

Björn Bidar

* Re: Define use-package twice for some packages
       [not found] <6588d36e.0c0a0220.8776a.1723SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2023-12-27 13:26 ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2023-12-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar, help-gnu-emacs

One way to do it is by using a function that you later redefine. First
you define an empty version before your shared circe use-package form.
You call it in your :config. Then you define a filled version in your
private config file. The :config would call the redefined function. This
should work for circe, but there are probably some packages where it
won't work, because :config is called before your custom function is
redefined.

Alternatively if your configuration is something simple like a few
variable values, nothing forces you to fit it all into the use-package.
Tools like use-package exist to make it simpler for you, not harder and
0.005325 seconds of startup time may not be worth 4 hours of human
thinking time.