* M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
@ 2008-10-09 15:23 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-emacs-help

Hello,

I have customized my grep-command variable this way:

(setq grep-command "git --no-pager grep -n -e ")

because I'm working in a git repo.

But when I start the grep command (M-x grep), emacs appends
'/dev/null' to the git command:

git --no-pager grep -n -e seq /dev/null

Can anybody tell my what I'm doing wrong ?

thanks
--
Francis

* Re: M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
       [not found] <mailman.698.1223565824.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-09 16:04 ` Lowell Gilbert
       [not found]   ` <mailman.766.1223626432.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2008-10-09 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I have customized my grep-command variable this way:
>
> (setq grep-command "git --no-pager grep -n -e ")
>
> because I'm working in a git repo.
>
> But when I start the grep command (M-x grep), emacs appends
> '/dev/null' to the git command:
>
> git --no-pager grep -n -e seq /dev/null
>
> Can anybody tell my what I'm doing wrong ?

Check grep-use-null-device.

* Re: M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
@ 2008-10-10  8:13   ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]   ` <mailman.766.1223626432.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lowell Gilbert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have customized my grep-command variable this way:
>>
>> (setq grep-command "git --no-pager grep -n -e ")
>>
>> because I'm working in a git repo.
>>
>> But when I start the grep command (M-x grep), emacs appends
>> '/dev/null' to the git command:
>>
>> git --no-pager grep -n -e seq /dev/null
>>
>> Can anybody tell my what I'm doing wrong ?
>
> Check grep-use-null-device.

Indeed I force it to nil and it magically works. Thanks !

Other topic: it looks like you're using gnus and newsgroup to post/reply on this
list. Is it possible to CC me when you're replying ?

--

@ 2008-10-10 12:21     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2008-10-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have customized my grep-command variable this way:
>>>
>>> (setq grep-command "git --no-pager grep -n -e ")
>>>
>>> because I'm working in a git repo.
>>>
>>> But when I start the grep command (M-x grep), emacs appends
>>> '/dev/null' to the git command:
>>>
>>> git --no-pager grep -n -e seq /dev/null
>>>
>>> Can anybody tell my what I'm doing wrong ?
>>
>> Check grep-use-null-device.
>>

> Indeed I force it to nil and it magically works. Thanks !
>
> Other topic: it looks like you're using gnus and newsgroup to post/reply on this
> list. Is it possible to CC me when you're replying ?

I normally do that with mailing lists and not with newsgroups.  It's
possible either way, of course, but with newsgroups I do it rarely
enough that I just write the recipient in by hand.

* Re: M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
@ 2008-10-14  9:18       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-14  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lowell Gilbert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Lowell Gilbert
<lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,

>>> Check grep-use-null-device.
>>>

>> Indeed I force it to nil and it magically works. Thanks !
>>
>> Other topic: it looks like you're using gnus and newsgroup to post/reply on this
>> list. Is it possible to CC me when you're replying ?
>
> I normally do that with mailing lists and not with newsgroups.  It's
> possible either way, of course,

Just of curiosity, how do you do that with newsgroups ? any special key bindings
or do you just add Cc field ?

Thanks
--

@ 2008-10-14 11:29         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-10-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Lowell Gilbert
> <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Indeed I force it to nil and it magically works. Thanks !
>>>
>>> Other topic: it looks like you're using gnus and newsgroup to post/reply on this
>>> list. Is it possible to CC me when you're replying ?
>>
>> I normally do that with mailing lists and not with newsgroups.  It's
>> possible either way, of course,
>
> Just of curiosity, how do you do that with newsgroups ? any special key bindings
> or do you just add Cc field ?

f runs the command gnus-summary-followup

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
@ 2008-10-14 12:11           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-14 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just of curiosity, how do you do that with newsgroups ? any special key bindings
>> or do you just add Cc field ?
>
> f runs the command gnus-summary-followup

No.

Just try what you suggested and you will see there's no Cc field
in your follow up.

--

@ 2008-10-14 12:16         ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2008-10-14 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: Lowell Gilbert, help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Lowell Gilbert
> <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Indeed I force it to nil and it magically works. Thanks !
>>>
>>> Other topic: it looks like you're using gnus and newsgroup to post/reply on this
>>> list. Is it possible to CC me when you're replying ?
>>
>> I normally do that with mailing lists and not with newsgroups.  It's
>> possible either way, of course,
>
> Just of curiosity, how do you do that with newsgroups ? any special key bindings
> or do you just add Cc field ?

I do it by hand.  You could automate it, but the trick would be
extracting the e-mail address to use.  Maybe the attribution line
would be the easy way to do it.  Maybe putting it in the followup
command would be better than doing it afterwards -- I don't see any
existing commands to do that, but a wrapper around the followup
command should do it.

* Re: M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
@ 2008-10-14 12:24             ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-10-14 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Thierry Volpiatto

[2008-10-14 14:11 +0200] Francis Moreau wrote:

>>> Just of curiosity, how do you do that with newsgroups ? any special
>>> key bindings or do you just add Cc field ?
>>
>> f runs the command gnus-summary-followup

> Just try what you suggested and you will see there's no Cc field in
> your follow up.

We can answer to all recipients with Gnus' "Wide reply and yank" (S W)
feature. It will put the person you are replying to to the "To" field
and other people (as well as the mailing list address) to the "Cc"
field.

* Re: M-x grep gets /dev/null automatically appended to the command
@ 2008-10-14 14:08           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lowell Gilbert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Lowell Gilbert
<lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> command would be better than doing it afterwards -- I don't see any
> existing commands to do that, but a wrapper around the followup
> command should do it.

OK, at least I haven't missed that part.

It's a bit strange there's not already such command specially since
a lot of people out there do not use news readers. And in that case the
thread is simply broken and in that case it's hard to see that someone
reply.

--

@ 2008-10-14 14:19           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-14 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lowell Gilbert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Lowell Gilbert
<lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Lowell Gilbert
>> <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

>>> I normally do that with mailing lists and not with newsgroups.  It's
>>> possible either way, of course,
>>
>> Just of curiosity, how do you do that with newsgroups ? any special key bindings
>> or do you just add Cc field ?
>
> I do it by hand.  You could automate it, but the trick would be
> extracting the e-mail address to use.  Maybe the attribution line
> would be the easy way to do it.  Maybe putting it in the followup
> command would be better than doing it afterwards -- I don't see any
> existing commands to do that, but a wrapper around the followup
> command should do it.

BTW, it seems that you haven't used news group this time, have you ?

If so, it explains why this time you reply to _me_ and Cc the mailing
list...
--
Francis