* Anyone changed menu or menubar colors under Windows 2K+ ?
@ 2003-06-06 19:49 Christopher M. Balz
From: Christopher M. Balz @ 2003-06-06 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any luck with this out there?

I've tried adding to the registry and command-line ('-xrm' options).

There seem to be a couple different names for the variables:
'Emacs.menu*.background' and 'Emacs.menubar.Background'.

Here's the regedit:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs]
"Emacs.menubar.Background"="midnight blue"

* Re: Anyone changed menu or menubar colors under Windows 2K+ ?
@ 2003-06-06 20:46 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-06-06 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

ChristopherMBalz@StanfordAlumni.org (Christopher M. Balz) writes:

> Any luck with this out there?
>
> I've tried adding to the registry and command-line ('-xrm' options).
>
> There seem to be a couple different names for the variables:
> 'Emacs.menu*.background' and 'Emacs.menubar.Background'.

Emacs.menu.attributeBackground

See (info "(emacs)Resources X"), the last part about faces; `menu' is
a face.

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge

* Re: Anyone changed menu or menubar colors under Windows 2K+ ?
@ 2003-06-07  0:02 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7518.1054975951.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-06-07  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

ChristopherMBalz@StanfordAlumni.org (Christopher M. Balz) writes:

> Any luck with this out there?
>
> I've tried adding to the registry and command-line ('-xrm' options).
>
> There seem to be a couple different names for the variables:
> 'Emacs.menu*.background' and 'Emacs.menubar.Background'.
>
> Here's the regedit:
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs]
> "Emacs.menubar.Background"="midnight blue"

Emacs uses native menus on Windows, thus the only way to change their
color is through the control panel, along with other Windows
applications.

* Re: Anyone changed menu or menubar colors under Windows 2K+ ?
@ 2003-06-07  8:52   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7518.1054975951.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-07  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 07 Jun 2003 01:02:12 +0100
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs]
> > "Emacs.menubar.Background"="midnight blue"
>
> Emacs uses native menus on Windows, thus the only way to change their
> color is through the control panel, along with other Windows
> applications.

IMHO, that should be spelled out in the manual (unless it already is).

@ 2003-06-07 11:39     ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7529.1055001206.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-06-07 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 07 Jun 2003 01:02:12 +0100
> > >
> > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\Emacs]
> > > "Emacs.menubar.Background"="midnight blue"
> >
> > Emacs uses native menus on Windows, thus the only way to change their
> > color is through the control panel, along with other Windows
> > applications.
>
> IMHO, that should be spelled out in the manual (unless it already is).

The manual is a bit vague, it says that "some" resources can be set
in the registry on Windows. I have updated it to explicitly state
that the menu and scroll-bar resources are not configurable in this
way on Windows.

* Re: Anyone changed menu or menubar colors under Windows 2K+ ?
@ 2003-06-07 15:51       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.7529.1055001206.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 07 Jun 2003 12:39:55 +0100
>
> The manual is a bit vague, it says that "some" resources can be set
> in the registry on Windows. I have updated it to explicitly state
> that the menu and scroll-bar resources are not configurable in this
> way on Windows.

Thank you.

@ 2003-06-11 21:51         ` Christopher M. Balz
From: Christopher M. Balz @ 2003-06-11 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote in message news:<mailman.7529.1055001206.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> > From: jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 07 Jun 2003 12:39:55 +0100
> >
> > The manual is a bit vague, it says that "some" resources can be set
> > in the registry on Windows. I have updated it to explicitly state
> > that the menu and scroll-bar resources are not configurable in this
> > way on Windows.
>
> Thank you.

I second that "thank you".  I had thought that there might be
something that I did not understand, since I couldn't get the menu
colors to change on Emacs on NT.

 - Christopher M. Balz