* only can use key bind in X?
@ 2004-08-04  2:49 Wade Yin
From: Wade Yin @ 2004-08-04  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all,

   this is a piece of my .emacs config file:

   (global-set-key [?\C-.] 'goto-line)

   after I enter Xwindow I can use "goto-line" with the bind key "C-.", but
when I in console mode , it doesn't work...

   Who can tell what's wrong with it?

Thanks

Wade

* Re: only can use key bind in X?
@ 2004-08-04  3:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-08-04  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Wade Yin <linux.wade@163.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 04 Aug 2004 10:49:36 +0800
>
>    this is a piece of my .emacs config file:
>
>    (global-set-key [?\C-.] 'goto-line)
>
>    after I enter Xwindow I can use "goto-line" with the bind key "C-.", but
> when I in console mode , it doesn't work...

IN console mode, if you press C-. in Emacs and then type "C-h l"
(that's a letter ell, not a digit one), does Emacs show any key at all
for the C-. keypress?

I'm guessing that it either doesn't show anything or shows just the
period, since consoles normally cannot express "Ctrl-.".  In other
words, the console doesn't send Emacs any code when you press that key
combo.  So there's nothing Emacs can do about that.