* How can I put the '_' into the elements that form a word use by forward-word?
@ 2008-11-20 16:28 mgx0018
       [not found] ` <mailman.891.1227220438.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: mgx0018 @ 2008-11-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
   In our project, there are many variables like "AA_BB_CC", the word have many '_' in it.
If the point is before AA, I only move to the point that before first "_" when use forward-word,
How can I move to the point after CC used forward-word directly?
In other word, How can I put "_" into the elements that form a word,
It make the forward-word to recognize AA_BB_CC is one word, not three word?
Thanks very much!

* RE: How can I put the '_' into the elements that form a word use by forward-word?
@ 2008-11-20 22:33 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.891.1227220438.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-11-20 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'mgx0018', help-gnu-emacs

> In our project, there are many variables like "AA_BB_CC", the word
> have many '_' in > it. If the point is before AA, I only move to
> the point that before first "_" when use forward-word,
> How can I move to the point after CC used forward-word directly?
> In other word, How can I put "_" into the elements that form a word,
> It make the forward-word to recognize AA_BB_CC is one word, not three word?

Use forward-symbol, not forward-word.

Or change the syntax class of _ from word-constituent to symbol-constituent.

[Please use plain text, not HTML, mail for this mailing list.]

@ 2008-11-21  5:08   ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-11-21  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 20, 2:33 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> [Please use plain text, not HTML, mail for this mailing list.]

there seems to be increasing number of html posts... maybe we can stop
requesting a particular format of email now. It makes the newsgroup
less user friendly. People are less likely to ask questions if they
have to do more.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

@ 2008-11-21  5:39   ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-11-21  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 20, 2:33 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Use forward-symbol, not forward-word.

forward-symbol is kinda problematic. It does not seems widely
supported. For example, there's no backward-symbol, and the “*-word”
cursor moving keys doesn't change.

> Or change the syntax class of _ from word-constituent to symbol-constituent.

don't know what mode you are using, but here's a example of doing it
with emacs-lisp-mode:

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
  (modify-syntax-entry ?- "w" emacs-lisp-mode-syntax-table )
 )
)

See:

• Syntax Class Table - GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
http://xahlee.org/elisp/Syntax-Class-Table.html

@ 2008-11-21 10:55     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-11-21 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2:33 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Use forward-symbol, not forward-word.
>
> forward-symbol is kinda problematic. It does not seems widely
> supported. For example, there's no backward-symbol, and the “*-word”
> cursor moving keys doesn't change.

[...]

The thruth is both of them don't exist, but `forward-sexp' and
`bachward-sexp' do.

-ap

* Re: How can I put the '_' into the elements that form a word use by forward-word?
@ 2008-11-23 23:42     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-11-23 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2:33 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> [Please use plain text, not HTML, mail for this mailing list.]
>
> there seems to be increasing number of html posts... maybe we can stop
> requesting a particular format of email now. It makes the newsgroup
> less user friendly. People are less likely to ask questions if they
> have to do more.

Maybe we can start asking for actual HTML. :)

I don't mind HTML emails per se, but this particular email contains HTML
broken to the point where it doesn't even contain an HTML tag.  And the
plain text version contains lines longer than 80 characters.  So it
looks somewhat odd, either way.

In this case I'd like to politely ask the original poster to use a more
polite user agent.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher