* Problem installing ispell
@ 2003-04-03  2:08 Alan Stein
From: Alan Stein @ 2003-04-03  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just got a new computer and tried installing ispell; I'd had it
working on my old computer but don't remember how I installed it.

I got the ispell.el file, put it in the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
directory, opened emacs and compiled it with the byte-compile-file
command. It seemed to compile okay, but emacs won't load it.

If I use the locate-library command, I get the response
"Library is file /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ispell.elc."
However, if I try to load it with the load-library command, I get the
message
"Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell."

My setup is an iMac G4 with OSX.
--
Alan Stein a.stein@snet.net

How long will we pretend Yasser Arafat isn't a terrorist?

* Re: Problem installing ispell
@ 2003-04-03  9:44 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-04-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stein wrote:

> I got the ispell.el file, put it in the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> directory, opened emacs and compiled it with the byte-compile-file
> command. It seemed to compile okay, but emacs won't load it.

Emacs-21.1 (which your headers indicate you use) comes with ispell.el.
You don't need to install another version unless you want/need to
update it.

> However, if I try to load it with the load-library command, I get the
> message
> "Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell."
>
> My setup is an iMac G4 with OSX.

ispell.el *is* working. ispell.el is an interface to the external
program ispell (or aspell) that actually does the spell-check. The
message means that ispell.el cannot find the ispell executable. You
need to install it if you don't have it, or help ispell.el find it by
setting ispell-program-name.

* Re: Problem installing ispell
@ 2003-04-08  4:20 ` Ryan Yeske
From: Ryan Yeske @ 2003-04-08  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stein <a.stein@snet.net> writes:

> I just got a new computer and tried installing ispell; I'd had it
> working on my old computer but don't remember how I installed it.
>
> I got the ispell.el file, put it in the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> directory, opened emacs and compiled it with the byte-compile-file
> command. It seemed to compile okay, but emacs won't load it.
>
> If I use the locate-library command, I get the response
> "Library is file /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ispell.elc."
> However, if I try to load it with the load-library command, I get the
> message
> "Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell."
>
> My setup is an iMac G4 with OSX.

Hi Alan,

You need the ispell binary.  You should be able to download and
compile the source from

ftp.gnu.org:/non-gnu/ispell

There may be a package for your OS, but I know nothing about that.

BTW, what emacs are you using?  AFAIK, ispell.el has been standard
with GNU Emacs since at least version 20.x.  You shouldn't need to
bother with installing your own copy of ispell.el in site-lisp.

Ryan