* ispell gives "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
@ 2005-10-13  6:42 Jeff D. Hamann
       [not found] ` <mailman.11175.1129195674.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2005-10-13  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm setting up a new installation of emacs+auctex+ispell+balh, blah,blah.
FLyspell mode turns on and when I attempt  and when I attempt to either
spell check the document or simply check a word I get the following error in
the minibuffer:

Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

I've added the following lines to my .emacs file:

; set some reftex modes
(setq reftex-extra-bindings t)
(setq reftex-plug-info-AUCTeX t)
(setq bib-cite-use-reftex-view-crossref t)
(setq reftex-cite-format 'natbib)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)    ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)    ; with Emacs latex mode

;; to make auctex aware of style files and multi-file docs
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)

(require 'tex-site)

;;; try the flyspell stuff..
(add-hook 'tex-mode-hook (function (lambda () (setq ispell-parser 'tex))))
(setq ispell-dictionary "C:/ispell/dic/american.hash")
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1)))

So I'm not sure what's going wrong. I've got an old installation on another
machine (not sure the versions on the old machine) and it works just fine.
I'm running emacs 21.3.1 with the ispell-3.2.06 downloaded from

http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/aftp/pub/ptex/utils/

Any help?

Jeff.

* ispell gives "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
@ 2005-12-27  6:49 Jeff D. Hamann
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2005-12-27  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I finally got the debugging information I needed....The *Backtrace* buffer
yields the following when I attempt to run ispell...

I'n running ntemacs 21.3 on windows xp.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  looking-at(nil)
  ispell-get-word(nil)
  ispell-word(nil nil nil)
  call-interactively(ispell-word)

Since I'm not about to start learning how to code in yet another langauge
and I've got to get some work done, can someone lend a debugging hand?

I forgot to mention emacs is the biz!

Help?

Jeff.