* Emacs stuck on VMware.
@ 2009-06-03  4:48 Kwanghoon Choi
From: Kwanghoon Choi @ 2009-06-03  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,

I am using Emacs 22 GTK on VMware (where Ubuntu runs).
It is typical of me to suspend VMware before I leave my work place and to
wake up it every morning.

Sometimes, my emacs windows are found to get stuck showing only blank
screens when I wake up VMware.
If this happens, I have to kill the emacs application process and to launch
it again.

This cumbersome situation happens a few times for a month or so, but not
always.

This kind of bug description might not good to get interests from you, but
this is all I can explain. Sigh.
I am wondering if there is anybody has the same experience.

Thanks.

Kwanghoon

* Re: Emacs stuck on VMware.
@ 2009-06-03 11:06 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-06-03 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kwanghoon Choi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Which Emacs version are you using under WMware?

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Kwanghoon Choi <lazyswamp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am using Emacs 22 GTK on VMware (where Ubuntu runs).
> It is typical of me to suspend VMware before I leave my work place and to
> wake up it every morning.
>
> Sometimes, my emacs windows are found to get stuck showing only blank
> screens when I wake up VMware.
> If this happens, I have to kill the emacs application process and to launch
> it again.
>
> This cumbersome situation happens a few times for a month or so, but not
> always.
>
> This kind of bug description might not good to get interests from you, but
> this is all I can explain. Sigh.
> I am wondering if there is anybody has the same experience.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kwanghoon

* Re: Emacs stuck on VMware.
@ 2009-06-03 11:34 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-06-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
Kwanghoon Choi <lazyswamp@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I am using Emacs 22 GTK on VMware (where Ubuntu runs).
> It is typical of me to suspend VMware before I leave my work place and to wake up it every morning.
>
> Sometimes, my emacs windows are found to get stuck showing only blank screens when I wake up VMware.
> If this happens, I have to kill the emacs application process and to launch it again.
>
> This cumbersome situation happens a few times for a month or so, but not always.
>
> This kind of bug description might not good to get interests from you, but this is all I can
> explain. Sigh.
> I am wondering if there is anybody has the same experience.
This not just happened in VMware, i run Emacs in Ubuntu linux (host OS).
It will freeze if i don't type anything long time.

This situation happens almost 1 times per 2 days.
I think it's something bug of elisp code.
Hope maintainer will test this bug.

elisp code is not stable enough when code is too large.

  -- Andy

* Re: Emacs stuck on VMware.
@ 2009-06-03 12:10   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-06-03 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Stewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Kwanghoon Choi <lazyswamp@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am using Emacs 22 GTK on VMware (where Ubuntu runs).
>> It is typical of me to suspend VMware before I leave my work place and to wake up it every morning.
>>
>> Sometimes, my emacs windows are found to get stuck showing only blank screens when I wake up VMware.
>> If this happens, I have to kill the emacs application process and to launch it again.
>>
>> This cumbersome situation happens a few times for a month or so, but not always.
>>
>> This kind of bug description might not good to get interests from you, but this is all I can
>> explain. Sigh.
>> I am wondering if there is anybody has the same experience.
> This not just happened in VMware, i run Emacs in Ubuntu linux (host OS).
> It will freeze if i don't type anything long time.
>
> This situation happens almost 1 times per 2 days.
> I think it's something bug of elisp code.
> Hope maintainer will test this bug.

Which version of Emacs does it happen with? Could you please file a bug report:

   M-x report-emacs-bug

* Re: Emacs stuck on VMware.
@ 2009-06-03 12:14   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-06-03 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Stewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:

> elisp code is not stable enough when code is too large.

Forgot to say that this is some bug in core functionality. Therefore I
do not think it has anything to do with Emacs size (except for lack of
human resources), but rather with the complexity of supporting
numerous platform (where the core functionality must be implemented
different).

* Re: Emacs stuck on VMware.
@ 2009-06-06 17:01 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-06-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kwanghoon Choi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

What is VMware? Unfortunately, i cannot access web informations now.

--
Byung-Hee HWANG, KNU
∑ WWW: http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/