* Spell checking on windows
@ 2007-01-15 18:07 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-01-15 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone confirm for me that I need to install Cygwin to get spell
checking on Emacs running in Windows.

Assuming I do, from reading the install help, it seems that you can choose
which packages to download, should I just download everything, on the
assumption I may eventually need Cygwin for other things.

Thanks,

Graham

* Re: Spell checking on windows
@ 2007-01-15 21:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3110.1168895721.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:07:55 +0000
> From: "Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com>
>
> Can someone confirm for me that I need to install Cygwin to get spell
> checking on Emacs running in Windows.

I cannot confirm it, I can actually refute it: I use spell-checking in
the native Windows port of Emacs without any Cygwin program anywhere
in sight.

What you need is to find a native Windows port of Ispell or Aspell;
there are a few of them floating around (sorry, no URL).  After that,
everything with Just Work (tm).

> Assuming I do, from reading the install help, it seems that you can choose
> which packages to download, should I just download everything, on the
> assumption I may eventually need Cygwin for other things.

Unless your Emacs is a Cygwin build, I don't recommend mixing it with
a Cygwin port of speller: there are subtle incompatibilities.

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-01-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-01-15 21:15   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3110.1168895721.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-01-15 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> What you need is to find a native Windows port of Ispell or Aspell;
> there are a few of them floating around (sorry, no URL).  After that,
> everything with Just Work (tm).

http://aspell.net/win32/

* Re: Spell checking on windows
       [not found] <mailman.3093.1168884480.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-15 21:42 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2007-01-15 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Graham Smith" <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> Can someone confirm for me that I need to install Cygwin to get spell
> checking on Emacs running in Windows.

No, that isn't necessarily the case.  You could use a native Windows
port of ispell or aspell.

I can't recall which ISPELL port I used, but Googling for "ispell for
windows" or "aspell for windows" looks promising.

* Re: Spell checking on windows
@ 2007-01-15 22:30 ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2007-01-15 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to say thanks to everyone for their help.

Installed the precompliled windows binary for aspell, plus the english
dictionary

added (setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell") to .emacs and added the
path to the aspell bin directory as an environmental variable.

Its all working now ;-)

Graham

@ 2007-01-16 19:15     ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2007-01-16 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> http://aspell.net/win32/

Very easy to install in fact. Thanks for the pointer.
--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html