* [NEWBIE] Error - Search for program: no such file or directory, ls
@ 2003-09-05 22:06 Robert Pollard
From: Robert Pollard @ 2003-09-05 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have the error indicated in the Subject when I execute C-x C-f and
try get a directory listing.  The same occurs when I enter dired and
try to get a directory listing.  I have an idea of what needs to be
done but I don't know what to do it with.  The last time I saw
something like this I had to set a variable to tell it where the
executable was.  I assume a variable of some type is not set up
correctly.
Whatever it is I would appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

OS:	     Mac OS X 10.2.6
EMacs: 21.3.50.1

Thanks,

Robert Pollard

* Re: [NEWBIE] Error - Search for program: no such file or directory, ls
       [not found] <mailman.258.1062799844.18171.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-08 16:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Pollard wrote:

> I have the error indicated in the Subject when I execute C-x C-f and try
> get a directory listing.  The same occurs when I enter dired and try to
> get a directory listing.  I have an idea of what needs to be done but I
> don't know what to do it with.  The last time I saw something like this
> I had to set a variable to tell it where the executable was.  I assume a
> variable of some type is not set up correctly.
> Whatever it is I would appreciate a pointer in the right direction.
>
> OS:         Mac OS X 10.2.6
> EMacs: 21.3.50.1

See the insert-directory-program variable and the lisp/ls-lisp.el file.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: [NEWBIE] Error - Search for program: no such file or directory, ls
       [not found] <20030915223238.41480.qmail@web41905.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2003-09-16 15:55 ` Robert Pollard
From: Robert Pollard @ 2003-09-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for your time.  I just have a couple of questions  if you don't
mind:

My path is set to the where the ls program is located.  I found this by
using "which ls" and it located it in /bin.  This path is defined in my
PATH variable.  So what is broken that prevent EMacs from finding the
program?
If ls-lisp.el is not loaded does it use file.el instead to find the
programs?

Thanks for your valuable time,

Robert Pollard