* HL Line mode makes Emacs flicker depending on font
@ 2012-08-15 14:03 Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2012-08-15 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello there,

HL Line mode makes Emacs flicker, depending on font used.  In this case, it
happens with the Raize font:

http://www.raize.com/devtools/tools/rzfont.asp

How to reproduce:
- extract raize_font_linux-1.0.tar.gz into the ~/.fonts directory
- emacs -Q
- set Raize as the default font
- visit an Emacs Lisp file
- M-x hl-line-mode
- move up and down by lines: screen flickers

Interestingly, it doesn't happen with the Fixed 9x15 font, which is similar.

Disabling Font Lock does not fix the issue, therefore HL Line mode must
be the
cause.

I've read other reports of Emacs flickering, but they seem unrelated.

Software:
- GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2012-06-12 on
debian
- Debian GNU/Linux: 6.0.5
- Gnome Version: 2.30.2

* RE: HL Line mode makes Emacs flicker depending on font
@ 2012-08-15 15:05 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-08-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Raffaele Ricciardi', help-gnu-emacs

> HL Line mode makes Emacs flicker, depending on font used.  In
> this case, it happens with the Raize font:
> http://www.raize.com/devtools/tools/rzfont.asp
> How to reproduce:

HL Line mode is part of GNU Emacs.  If you find a reproducible problem with it,
consider filing a bug report: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.