From: jpkotta <jpkotta@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: emacs's spell check feature problems (criticism)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:46:15 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On May 25, 6:27 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 3:52 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Some criticism about emacs spell checking feature.
>
> > • Emacs Spell Checker Problems
> >  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_spell_checker_problems.html
>
> Forgot to add some credits.
>
> Thanks to Martin Rudalics for speck-mode, for sending me the latest
> version and allowing me to post it, and answer some of my questions.
> David Capello did the work for getting hunspell engine to work in
> ErgoEmacs on Windows. Of course, thanks to flyspell author (Manuel
> Serrano), emacs developers, and the open source spell engine authors.
>
>   Xah
> ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

The error is because speck-hunspell-default-dictionary-name is nil.
If I set speck-hunspell-library-directory to the directory where my
hunspell dictionaries are (which is /usr/share/myspell/dicts on my
system), I can enable the mode with no errors.  I still can't seem to
make it do anything useful, though.