* Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
@ 2006-08-15 21:56 harel barzilai
       [not found] ` <mailman.5202.1155698855.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harel barzilai @ 2006-08-15 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

This is more a emacs-via-terminal-program question, rather than just
about emacs by itself, but
I'm thinking the readership of this group will be a more savvy one more
likely to be
able to help me, and am thinking/hoping that others on this group might
be in the same
situation I'm in so might know some fixes offhand.

I regularly use ssh to get to a linux shell from which I use emacs (for
the time being I don't have a simple GUI, nor any fancy X so my linux,
and emacs access are through ssh'ing into a
shell account I pay for).

When I try to copy/paste into emacs, to save as a file or into the
*mail* buffer say from
my browser for example, there are often problems with dashes, single
and double quotes, etc. It took me a whie I have to admit to even
figure out this was not an emacs issue but one
with the terminal program insisting on interpreting those...suddenly it
activates
emacs search (control-s) just because part of the paste had some single
quote in it, etc.
Very strangely, every once in a while, the pastes don't have this
problem even with
those characters...In any case, I'm wondering if there is a simple
solution? I don't
think there's an emacs mode or emacs feature I can use to fix this (is
there?) and if not,
is there a better ssh client anyone can name, or a mode or setting I am
missing on my
client, so I can just copy/paste into emacs from the browser even with
those
quotes/dashes characters? Many thanks,

Harel
barzilai [at] gmail [dot] com

* Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
@ 2006-08-16  3:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.5202.1155698855.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-08-16  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "harel barzilai" <barzilai@gmail.com>
> Date: 15 Aug 2006 14:56:54 -0700
>
> I regularly use ssh to get to a linux shell from which I use emacs (for
> the time being I don't have a simple GUI, nor any fancy X so my linux,
> and emacs access are through ssh'ing into a
> shell account I pay for).
>
> When I try to copy/paste into emacs, to save as a file or into the
> *mail* buffer say from
> my browser for example, there are often problems with dashes, single
> and double quotes, etc. It took me a whie I have to admit to even
> figure out this was not an emacs issue but one
> with the terminal program insisting on interpreting those...suddenly it
> activates
> emacs search (control-s) just because part of the paste had some single
> quote in it, etc.
> Very strangely, every once in a while, the pastes don't have this
> problem even with
> those characters...In any case, I'm wondering if there is a simple
> solution? I don't
> think there's an emacs mode or emacs feature I can use to fix this (is
> there?) and if not,
> is there a better ssh client anyone can name, or a mode or setting I am
> missing on my
> client, so I can just copy/paste into emacs from the browser even with
> those
> quotes/dashes characters? Many thanks,

Please provide the specific details: on what OS you run the ssh
client, which ssh client is that, and what version of Emacs runs on
the GNU/Linux system to which you login via ssh.

@ 2006-08-17 21:45   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-08-17 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Please provide the specific details: on what OS you run the ssh
> client, which ssh client is that, and what version of Emacs runs on
> the GNU/Linux system to which you login via ssh.

Also, what program are you pasting the quotes and dashes from?

My initial suspicion is that these are not normal quotes and dashes,
but characters from the win-1252 codepage that are in the code point
range 128-159 (decimal), and your ssh client is assuming input in
iso-8859-1 where that code range is reserved for control characters
with the high bit set, so it strips the high bit and passes a control
character through to Emacs.

* Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
@ 2006-08-20 13:02     ` harel barzilai
From: harel barzilai @ 2006-08-20 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Mostly I am copying from my browser, which is firefox. Articles on the
web etc..having
quotes, single quotes, dashes, things like that. That accounts for 95%+
of my
copying-from locations if not 100%.

Where I'm copying into is emacs 21 (latest is 21.4.1) on my
dreamhost.com
account into which I ssh or telnet...I was using the standard terminal
on
Xanxros, but I just switched from Xandros to Ubuntu for my home OS..but
the same
things happened on my office computer last year (which was running
windows..I'm
on sabbatical out of state so I can't look up the exact windows ssh
client right now..)
so it doesn't seem to matter which ssh/telnet client to use...but if
there is a client
to use on linux that (a) has nice features overall as an ssh client
and (b) you know from experience doesn't have a problem being
pasted-into
from "rich" text copied from a browser, that would be great, that would
be exactly what I could use. Thanks,
Harel

@ 2006-08-21 14:30       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5390.1156175305.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-08-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

harel barzilai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mostly I am copying from my browser, which is firefox. Articles on the
> web etc..having
> quotes, single quotes, dashes, things like that. That accounts for 95%+
> of my
> copying-from locations if not 100%.
>
> Where I'm copying into is emacs 21 (latest is 21.4.1) on my
> dreamhost.com
> account into which I ssh or telnet...I was using the standard terminal
> on
> Xanxros, but I just switched from Xandros to Ubuntu for my home OS..but
> the same
> things happened on my office computer last year (which was running
> windows..I'm
> on sabbatical out of state so I can't look up the exact windows ssh
> client right now..)
> so it doesn't seem to matter which ssh/telnet client to use...but if
> there is a client
> to use on linux that (a) has nice features overall as an ssh client
> and (b) you know from experience doesn't have a problem being
> pasted-into
> from "rich" text copied from a browser, that would be great, that would
> be exactly what I could use. Thanks,

What do `C-h v keyboard-coding-system' and `C-h v selection-coding-system'
display?  Are those values correct for that environment?

--
Kevin

* Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
@ 2006-08-21 15:48         ` bjemacs
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5414.1156195618.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5390.1156175305.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bjemacs @ 2006-08-21 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having the same issue as the writer above. In my case:

C-h v keyboard-coding-system  returns  keyboard-coding-system's value is nil

C-h v selection-coding-system  returns  [No Match]

Hope this helps.

bj

>What do `C-h v keyboard-coding-system' and `C-h v selection-coding-system'
>display?  Are those values correct for that environment?

--
Kevin

Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

@ 2006-08-21 19:45           ` harel barzilai
From: harel barzilai @ 2006-08-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I get the same "nil" for keyboard-coding-system but for
selection-coding-system
I get "selection-coding-system's value is
compound-text-with-extensions"

bjemacs wrote:
> I'm having the same issue as the writer above. In my case:
>
> C-h v keyboard-coding-system  returns  keyboard-coding-system's value is nil
>
> C-h v selection-coding-system  returns  [No Match]
>
> Hope this helps.

Ditto,
Harel
(again, I am running emacs not off my desktop but out of the Terminal
program (in ubuntu) running an ssh into a linux account from which I
run emacs)

@ 2006-08-21 21:26           ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5414.1156195618.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-21 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.08.2006 um 17:48 schrieb bjemacs:

> C-h v keyboard-coding-system  returns  keyboard-coding-system's
> value is nil

Can you set an environment variable like LC_All, LC_CTYPE, or LANG
that describes your preferred locale? And then re-launch GNU Emacs
from this shell?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk:  A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of
data with
             simple mnemonic commands.

@ 2006-08-22  1:06             ` harel barzilai
From: harel barzilai @ 2006-08-22  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I can't follow this at all, but if you show me what to
copy/paste into my
.emacs exactly, I can certainly try that and then re-launch emacs..

@ 2006-08-22  3:03             ` bjemacs
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5438.1156246237.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bjemacs @ 2006-08-22  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Ditto,
>Harel
>(again, I am running emacs not off my desktop but out of the Terminal
>program (in ubuntu) running an ssh into a linux account from which I
>run emacs)

I'm running emacs in the Terminal app on the OS X Tiger operating system,
and I have the same issue with copying pasting.

bj

@ 2006-08-22 11:30               ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5438.1156246237.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-22 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.08.2006 um 05:03 schrieb bjemacs:

> I'm running emacs in the Terminal app on the OS X Tiger operating
> system,
> and I have the same issue with copying pasting.

I think you won't be able to achieve this with Apple's /usr/bin/emacs
version 21.2 – this one is pure 7 bit US-ASCII dumb terminal only.
German umlauts like ä or ö are interpreted as control characters,
somehow.

Get yourself at least GNU Emacs 21.4, better GNU Emacs 22.0.50 or
23.0.0 from CVS. They can handle the Unicode encoded contents from
the Mac OS X pasteboard.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

@ 2006-09-15 22:29                 ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-09-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.5438.1156246237.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@web.DE> wrote:

>Get yourself at least GNU Emacs 21.4, better GNU Emacs 22.0.50 or
>23.0.0 from CVS. They can handle the Unicode encoded contents from
>the Mac OS X pasteboard.

I would *love* to get 23.0.0!

Do you perhaps have a one-line comand (cvs?) that will
grab the tar .gz or .bz2 for me?

(I've tried going in through the web-site and down,
 with NO luck, much, much confusion on my part.

 I recall that some time ago I used a one-liner
 go get 22.0.50.0, but I think the url or something
 from back then no longer work.

Do any of these look close?  What would you use?

    And what modifications due to things changed since then?

matches  for "cvs -.*emacs" in buffer: emacsdgrep.mss
    126:impt:   | > > cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  37848:cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  37849:cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3 checkout emacs
  37857:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  37858:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs update emacs
  37899:They do: cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

if not any of those, maybe one of these (some identical to above):

 matches for "cvs -.*emacs" in buffer: internet-todo.mss
   6211:cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
   6212:cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3 checkout emacs
  28231:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  28233:(or cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -r
  36210:cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  36211:cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3 checkout emacs
  36228:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  36241:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  36243:(or cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -rEMACS_21_3 emacs)
  36256:> |  cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  36257:> |  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3 checkout emacs
  36267:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  36269:(or cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -r
  46468:cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  49875:$ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  49878:$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  50389:cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  50391:cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co <modulename>
  63583:            cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.xemacs-dotfiles.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xemacs-dotfiles login
  63590:            cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.jt-xemacs-setup.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/jt-xemacs-setup login
  68683:cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  68689:cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
  68730:268 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
  68738:270 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3 checkout emacs

Thanks!

David

* Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
@ 2006-09-15 23:30                   ` Jiri Pejchal
                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2006-09-15 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.5438.1156246237.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@web.DE> wrote:
>>
>>Get yourself at least GNU Emacs 21.4, better GNU Emacs 22.0.50 or
>>23.0.0 from CVS. They can handle the Unicode encoded contents from
>>the Mac OS X pasteboard.
>>

> I would *love* to get 23.0.0!
>
> Do you perhaps have a one-line comand (cvs?) that will
> grab the tar .gz or .bz2 for me?

How to get cvs version is described on
http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

modulename is emacs

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
@ 2006-09-16  0:10                   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.6997.1158363083.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.6998.1158365417.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-16  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.09.2006 um 00:29 schrieb David Combs:

> I would *love* to get 23.0.0!

I have these two URLs:

	http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168
	http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/EmacsFromCVS

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs describes how to get GNU
Emacs via CVS. I once used this command to download the whole tree:

	cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -d emacs-
unicode -r emacs-unicode-2 -P emacs

so the module name seems to be emacs-unicode-2.

In my ~/.cvspass I have:

	:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs A
	:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs A

Once you have the source you can write into ~/.cvsrc

	cvs -z3

that you can omit -z3 (compression) and that you can say just

	cvs up

in the top-level directory (emacs-unicode in my example above) to
fetch the updated files only.

For GNU Emacs 22.0.50 I have saved these lines:

	cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co
emacs
	cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
	cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs update emacs

The module name here is just emacs. I think the anoncvs access was
stopped, so the last two lines are historic. (You can create an
account, and at once you're not anonymous any more!)

Actually I am no expert on CVS. I managed to login to the servers –
and they put these "cookies" into my ~/.cvspass file. Since the I
just cd into the appropriate directory and do 'cvs up' ...

Dont forget to 'make bootstrap'!!!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Globalisation -- communism from above.

@ 2006-10-14 21:52                     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-10-14 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.6997.1158363083.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Jiri Pejchal  <jiri.pejchal@gmail.com> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> In article <mailman.5438.1156246237.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>> Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@web.DE> wrote:
>>>
>>>Get yourself at least GNU Emacs 21.4, better GNU Emacs 22.0.50 or
>>>23.0.0 from CVS. They can handle the Unicode encoded contents from
>>>the Mac OS X pasteboard.
>>>

>> I would *love* to get 23.0.0!
>>
>> Do you perhaps have a one-line comand (cvs?) that will
>> grab the tar .gz or .bz2 for me?
>
>How to get cvs version is described on
>http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
>
>modulename is emacs
>
>--
>Jiri Pejchal

THANK YOU!!!!

David

(PS: been away for a while -- just now saw this!)

David

@ 2006-10-14 21:54                     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-10-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)