* Fontify: coloring rgb hex code by its value
@ 2008-04-25  2:11 Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-04-25  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i seems to recall that there's a module that will fontify a hex color
code by its value.
That is, if i have this line in my .css file:

pre.php {border-color:#2e8b57}

then the “#2e8b57” is colored using that value.

anyone know what's the name of this module or where can i get it?

A short code showing can this can be written will also be appreciated.

Thanks.

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* RE: Fontify: coloring rgb hex code by its value
@ 2008-04-25 15:35 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.10811.1209137778.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-25 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xah', help-gnu-emacs

> i seems to recall that there's a module that will fontify a hex color
> code by its value.
> That is, if i have this line in my .css file:
> pre.php {border-color:#2e8b57}
> then the "#2e8b57" is colored using that value.
> anyone know what's the name of this module or where can i get it?
> A short code showing can this can be written will also be appreciated.

I believe this is done in the code for `list-colors-display'. That could be one
place to start. I do the same thing in some of my code, for example this:

(defun icicle-make-color-candidate (color-name &optional hex-rgb)
  (let ((rgb-string (or hex-rgb (hexrgb-color-name-to-hex color-name))))
    (put-text-property 0 (length rgb-string) 'face
                       (cons 'background-color rgb-string)
                       rgb-string)
    (list (list color-name rgb-string))))

That is in icicles-cmd.el:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/icicles-cmd.el

It uses code in hexrgb.el:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/hexrgb.el

See also command `palette' of palette.el, for similar code:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/palette.el

* Re: Fontify: coloring rgb hex code by its value
@ 2008-04-26 18:09 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10854.1209289187.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.10811.1209137778.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-04-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here's what I have in my .emacs (I culled of the net somewhere a while back).

I'm sure you can adapt this to whatever mode you want.

- Chris

;;;======================================================================
;;; automatically color hex color strings
(defvar hexcolor-keywords
  '(("#[abcdef[:digit:]]\\{6\\}"
     (0 (put-text-property (match-beginning 0)
			   (match-end 0)
			   'face (list :background
				       (match-string-no-properties 0)))))))

(defun hexcolor-add-to-font-lock ()
  (font-lock-add-keywords nil hexcolor-keywords))
(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'hexcolor-add-to-font-lock)
(add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook 'hexcolor-add-to-font-lock)

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: Fontify: coloring rgb hex code by its value
@ 2008-04-27  9:39   ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10854.1209289187.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-04-27  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris McMahan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> wrote:

> Here's what I have in my .emacs (I culled of the net somewhere a while
> back).

probably from http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/HexColour

It contains a few enhanced versions, as well.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

@ 2008-04-28 14:14     ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-04-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumacher@web.de> writes:

> Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> wrote:
>
>> Here's what I have in my .emacs (I culled of the net somewhere a while
>> back).
>
> probably from http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/HexColour
>
> It contains a few enhanced versions, as well.
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

That was the place indeed! Thanks for the update notice!

- Chris

--
     (.   .)

@ 2008-05-03  5:52   ` Xah