From: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: emacs-help gnu gnu <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Tramp / process has died
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:32:55 +0000	[thread overview]

On 25 Nov 2007, at 10:44, Michael Albinus wrote:

> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How can I make tramp reconnect automatically to its ssh connection
>> when it detects that the process "has died"?
>
> Which Tramp version do you use? The upcoming Tramp 2.1.12 has a new
> command `tramp-cleanup-connection', which you can call interactively.
> This is not "reconnect automatically", but it could be a starting
> point.

I'm running "2.0.57-pre", which is, I believe, what comes with Emacs
22.x (CVS).

In principle what I'm doing is to quit the stack trace that I'm
getting, and then to retry the command again. But as a user, I don't
want that interruption - I just want it to reconnect automatically.

> I could also try to let it run in the background when it detects a
> broken connection. But this needs more sophisticated checks, in order
> not to run into an infinite loop.

Sure, reconnection attempts should be timed and spaced. Perhaps you
can initiate them whenever a new IP address has been assigned to the
host. And "background" is good, because this would minimize the
"hanging" when saving (and all other accesses) (i.e. busy time in
which Emacs is unresponsive to user input apart from C-g).

- D