* w3 from the console (and under X)
@ 2003-05-03 18:27 upro
       [not found] ` <mailman.5534.1051988232.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: upro @ 2003-05-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

When I run emacs under X Windows I have no problems using w3, but when
I run emacs from the console w3 soed not start, and I get an error
message in the modeline which says simply: "Wrong type argument:
stringp, nil". In *Messages* I can read:
"Set-face-attribute: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil".

What's the problem here?
Thank You In Advance!
--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: w3 from the console (and under X)
@ 2003-05-03 18:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.5534.1051988232.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-03 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: upro <upro@gmx.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 20:27:17 +0200
>
> When I run emacs under X Windows I have no problems using w3, but when
> I run emacs from the console w3 soed not start, and I get an error
> message in the modeline which says simply: "Wrong type argument:
> stringp, nil". In *Messages* I can read:
> "Set-face-attribute: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil".

I'm not sure W3 is supposed to work on a tty, but if you have Emacs
21.x, please set debug-on-error to a non-nil value and then post here
the backtrace produced when you try to start W3.  It could be that
there's some bug, either in Emacs or in W3, that is easy to fix, since
Emacs 21 supports faces on a tty.

@ 2003-05-03 21:59   ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2003-05-03 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> I'm not sure W3 is supposed to work on a tty

It has worked wonderfully for me there before...

Mark.

--
You are a mystery as deep as the sea; the more I search, the more
I find, and the more I find the more I search for you.

@ 2003-05-04  8:41   ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-04  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

>> From: upro <upro@gmx.net>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 20:27:17 +0200
>>
>> When I run emacs under X Windows I have no problems using w3, but when
>> I run emacs from the console w3 soed not start, and I get an error
>> message in the modeline which says simply: "Wrong type argument:
>> stringp, nil". In *Messages* I can read:
>> "Set-face-attribute: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil".
>
> I'm not sure W3 is supposed to work on a tty, but if you have Emacs
> 21.x, please set debug-on-error to a non-nil value and then post here
> the backtrace produced when you try to start W3.  It could be that
> there's some bug, either in Emacs or in W3, that is easy to fix, since
> Emacs 21 supports faces on a tty.

Hi Eli - thanks for your answer! Here's the output from debug:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  internal-set-lisp-face-attribute(w3-style-face-00000 :family nil 0)
  set-face-attribute(w3-style-face-00000 nil :underline nil :weight normal :family nil)
  font-set-face-font(w3-style-face-00000 [:family nil :weight nil :style 0 :size nil :registry nil :encoding nil])
  w3-display-node((*document nil ((html nil ...))))
  w3-draw-tree(((*document nil (...))))
  w3-prepare-buffer()
  w3-pass-to-viewer()
  w3-sentinel(#<buffer *Customize Browser*>)
  w3-fetch("http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html")
  w3()
* call-interactively(w3)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

Thank You In Advance!