* Using emacs in Multiple OS"s and multiple computers
@ 2019-07-03 22:56 M.R.P. zensky via help-gnu-emacs
From: M.R.P. zensky via help-gnu-emacs @ 2019-07-03 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello I have a Mac book and Mac Pro Desktop both systems have dual boot Mac and Ubuntu. Any thoughts on how to set up emacs so that it will sync with my different systems. Maybe to make it more simple to just use emacs in Ubuntu. I have an external hard drive that is visible in any of the Operating systems. Any Ideas on how best to use emacs with this config?

* Re: Using emacs in Multiple OS"s and multiple computers
@ 2019-07-03 23:42 ` Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs
From: Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs @ 2019-07-03 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

M.R.P. zensky via help-gnu-emacs wrote:

> Hello I have a Mac book and Mac Pro Desktop
> both systems have dual boot Mac and Ubuntu.
> Any thoughts on how to set up emacs so that
> it will sync with my different systems.
> Maybe to make it more simple to just use
> emacs in Ubuntu. I have an external hard
> drive that is visible in any of the Operating
> systems. Any Ideas on how best to use emacs
> with this config?

In theory, there shouldn't be a difference!

Obviously, any OS-specific stuff will only work
for the specific OS! But you don't typically add
such stuff to Emacs, do you? What you add is
Elisp that won't even reach the OS level, as
Emacs and only Emacs will deal with that.

In practice, the more you configure, tweak, and
add, the more overhead work will be required
too keep everything in synch. So either don't
do it (too much), or perhaps choose one OS to
have as your main one (the Ubuntu one,
perhaps, in this case at least :)) and then
just have a minimal setup on the other one.

Speaking more broadly, Emacs isn't exactly like
a motor vehicle that needs to be trimmed to fit
a particular off-road track... It shouldn't
require a lot of work just to work. It is fun
to muck around with, but to do it in more than
one place sounds like a full time job :) and if
it should also be nsynch'd up to some
interpretation of the word, that sounds like
not only a full time job, but also an
unpleasant one at that... So let it it be.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Using emacs in Multiple OS"s and multiple computers
@ 2019-07-04  1:17 ` George Hartzell
From: George Hartzell @ 2019-07-04  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M.R.P. zensky; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

M.R.P. zensky via help-gnu-emacs writes:
 > Hello I have a Mac book and Mac Pro Desktop both systems have dual
 > boot Mac and Ubuntu. Any thoughts on how to set up emacs so that it
 > will sync with my different systems. Maybe to make it more simple
 > to just use emacs in Ubuntu. I have an external hard drive that is
 > visible in any of the Operating systems. Any Ideas on how best to
 > use emacs with this config?

Seems there are a couple of parts to this:

- You need a setup that will work across all of your OS/environments,
  only loading things when appropriate.  This is mostly just taking
  care with what you use where/when.   E.g. I only load my email bits
  on my laptop.

- Keep your configuration in a VCS (e.g. git, perhaps on GitHub) and
  keep the various clones of the repository in sync with pushes/pulls
  as appropriate.

My config is a personalized version of sjrmannings' .emacs.d[1].

It's a really nice framework on which to hang things.  I always smile
when a remember why I have files and things that start with `sm`....

straight.el[2], which sjrmannings' config uses, extends use-package a
bit and provides a wonderful amount of power for running
customized/fixed versions of packages.

g.

[1]: https://github.com/sjrmanning/.emacs.d
[2]: https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el