* elisp-index-search on current word
@ 2008-10-08  1:31 Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-08  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

when i do elisp-index-search, is there a way to make the default
choice the symbol the cursor is on?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: elisp-index-search on current word
@ 2008-10-08  6:07 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.530.1223450464.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-10-08  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----
`----

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: elisp-index-search on current word
@ 2008-10-08  7:20 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.530.1223450464.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-10-08  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> when i do elisp-index-search, is there a way to make the default
> choice the symbol the cursor is on?

(defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
   "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC
interactively."
   (interactive (list (read-string "Topic: " nil nil (thing-at-point
'symbol)))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-10-08 14:21   ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-10-08 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:
> Xah wrote:
>> when i do elisp-index-search, is there a way to make the default
>> choice the symbol the cursor is on?
>
> (defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
>   "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC interactively."
>   (interactive (list (read-string "Topic: " nil nil (thing-at-point 'symbol)))))

(defun elisp-index-search+ ()
  "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
  (interactive)
  (let (topic)
    (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
    (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
    (info "elisp")
    (Info-index topic)))

Regards.

   -- Andy.

* Re: elisp-index-search on current word
@ 2008-10-08 16:11     ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-08 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry wrote:
,----
| (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
|   (interactive)
|   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
|     (elisp-index-search expr)))
`----

among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.

is there a reason why it shouldn't prompt for current symbol? I think
its also useful for describe-function to provide a link to the elisp
manual at bottom. I just filed a bug report btw.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: elisp-index-search on current word
@ 2008-10-08 17:19       ` Thierry Volpiatto
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-10-08 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 8, 7:21 am, Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > (defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
>> >   "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC interactively."
>> >   (interactive (list (read-string "Topic: " nil nil (thing-at-point 'symbol)))))
>>
>> (defun elisp-index-search+ ()
>>   "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let (topic)
>>     (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
>>     (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
>>     (info "elisp")
>>     (Info-index topic)))
>
> Thierry wrote:
> ,----
> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
> |   (interactive)
> |   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
> |     (elisp-index-search expr)))
> `----
>
> among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.
>
> is there a reason why it shouldn't prompt for current symbol?
No you can have a prompt, (use <arrow down> to display thing-at-point)

,----
`----

--

@ 2008-10-09  2:49       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.596.1223486652.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.646.1223520579.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-10-09  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> On Oct 8, 7:21 am, Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> (defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
>>>   "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC interactively."
>>>   (interactive (list (read-string "Topic: " nil nil (thing-at-point 'symbol)))))
>> (defun elisp-index-search+ ()
>>   "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let (topic)
>>     (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
>>     (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
>>     (info "elisp")
>>     (Info-index topic)))
>
> Thierry wrote:
> ,----
> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
> |   (interactive)
> |   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
> |     (elisp-index-search expr)))
> `----
>
> among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.

What happens when you call my version or Andy's version?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-10-09 13:54         ` Richard Riley
       [not found]           ` <mailman.751.1223604460.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (defun elisp-index-search+ ()
>>>   "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (let (topic)
>>>     (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
>>>     (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
>>>     (info "elisp")
>>>     (Info-index topic)))
>>
>> Thierry wrote:
>> ,----
>> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
>> |   (interactive)
>> |   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
>> |     (elisp-index-search expr)))
>> `----
>>
>> among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.
>>
>> is there a reason why it shouldn't prompt for current symbol?
> No you can have a prompt, (use <arrow down> to display thing-at-point)
>
> ,----
> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point (expr)
> |   (interactive
> |    (list (read-from-minibuffer "Search: "
> |                                nil
> |                                nil
> |                                nil
> |                                nil
> |                                (thing-at-point 'sexp))))
> |   (elisp-index-search expr))
> `----

Would it be possible to have the thing at point displayed like most
defaults when you call the function? e.g If you hit search in most
editors one would normally see the word at point or region preselected
in the "search" field.

--
I think I should not go far wrong if I asserted that the amount of genuine leisure available in a society is generally in inverse proportion to the amount of labor-saving machinery it employs.  ~E.F. Schumacher

@ 2008-10-09 15:00         ` Xah
       [not found]           ` <mailman.753.1223605127.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah @ 2008-10-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 8, 7:49 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah wrote:
> >> (defun elisp-index-search+ ()
> >>   "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
> >>   (interactive)
> >>   (let (topic)
> >>     (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
> >>     (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
> >>     (info "elisp")
> >>     (Info-index topic)))
>
> > Thierry wrote:
> > ,----
> > | (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
> > |   (interactive)
> > |   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
> > |     (elisp-index-search expr)))
> > `----
>
> > among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.
>
> What happens when you call my version or Andy's version?

it didn't prompt the symbol under cursor. I tried up arrow but i
didn't try down arrow; should've.

I filed a bug report on this issue. I think it should prompt the
symbol under cursor like most other lookup commands such as describe-
function, where the current symbol is shown inside the prompt text.

@ 2008-10-10  2:07           ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.751.1223604460.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-10-10  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Thierry wrote:
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.
>>>
>>> is there a reason why it shouldn't prompt for current symbol?
>> No you can have a prompt, (use <arrow down> to display thing-at-point)
>>
>> ,----
>> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point (expr)
>> |   (interactive
>> |    (list (read-from-minibuffer "Search: "
>> |                                nil
>> |                                nil
>> |                                nil
>> |                                nil
>> |                                (thing-at-point 'sexp))))
>> |   (elisp-index-search expr))
>> `----
>
> Would it be possible to have the thing at point displayed like most
> defaults when you call the function? e.g If you hit search in most
> editors one would normally see the word at point or region preselected
> in the "search" field.

Try moving (thing-at-point 'sexp) from the DEFAULT argument to the
INITIAL-CONTENTS argument, for either read-string or
read-from-minibuffer.  Note that the doc string for both functions says
the INITIAL-CONTENTS argument is deprecated.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: elisp-index-search on current word
@ 2008-10-10  2:18           ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.753.1223605127.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-10-10  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah wrote:
> On Oct 8, 7:49 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens when you call my version or Andy's version?
>
> it didn't prompt the symbol under cursor. I tried up arrow but i
> didn't try down arrow; should've.

Yes, <down> would have worked.

> I filed a bug report on this issue. I think it should prompt the
> symbol under cursor like most other lookup commands such as describe-
> function, where the current symbol is shown inside the prompt text.

Ah, to get the conventional prompt:

(defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
   "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC
interactively."
   (interactive (let ((symbol-at-point (thing-at-point 'symbol)))
		 (list (read-string (if symbol-at-point
					(format "Topic (%s): " symbol-at-point)
				      (format "Topic: "))
				    nil nil symbol-at-point)))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-10-10  2:36             ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-10  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 9, 7:18 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, to get the conventional prompt:
>
> (defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
>    "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC
> interactively."
>    (interactive (let ((symbol-at-point (thing-at-point 'symbol)))
>                  (list (read-string (if symbol-at-point
>                                         (format "Topic (%s): " symbol-at-point)
>                                       (format "Topic: "))
>                                     nil nil symbol-at-point)))))

Thanks! Super.

@ 2008-10-10  8:41             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-10  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

>>> No you can have a prompt, (use <arrow down> to display thing-at-point)
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>> Would it be possible to have the thing at point displayed like most
>> defaults when you call the function? e.g If you hit search in most
>> editors one would normally see the word at point or region preselected
>> in the "search" field.
>
> Try moving (thing-at-point 'sexp) from the DEFAULT argument to the
> INITIAL-CONTENTS argument, for either read-string or
> read-from-minibuffer.  Note that the doc string for both functions says
> the INITIAL-CONTENTS argument is deprecated.

Your reply to Xah with the default value in the "conventional prompt" did
the job too - thanks.