* Emacs launches excruciatingly slowly
@ 2011-11-02 18:24 Ryan Wersal
From: Ryan Wersal @ 2011-11-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been utilizing Emacs at work for over a month now and have had a very
pleasant experience so far.
The launch time has traditionally been south of 5
seconds even with my admittedly non-optimized .emacs file.

But that all changed last Thursday. Something happened that caused the startup
time to skyrocket to a frankly unbelievable 43 minutes. I wish I was kidding.

I have already tried launching Emacs without a config file. This yielded an
approximately 7 minute or so start up time.

Googling has turned up several posts regarding Emacs being slow due to not being
able to determine it's host's FQDN.
To this end I have disconnected myself from my
work's network (unplugging the ethernet cable itself and also disabling the
adapter from the OS).
This resulted in normal load times (sub 5 seconds).

This appears to be the source of the issue, but I have no idea where to begin
looking to solve the problem itself.

Additional info: Windows 7 Professional 32bit running GNU Emacs 23.3.

Any idea where to begin on remedying this situation?

(Potentially more details can be found at my original post on
http://superuser.com/questions/353201/emacs-launches-excruciatingly-slowly)

Thanks in advance for the assistance,
Ryan Wersal

* RE: Emacs launches excruciatingly slowly
@ 2011-11-02 19:28 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-11-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ryan Wersal', help-gnu-emacs

Do you perhaps have a network drive automatically mapped at logon, and it is
mapped to a machine that is no longer accessible?  That would do it.

* Re: Emacs launches excruciatingly slowly
@ 2011-11-02 19:34   ` Ryan Wersal
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1660.1320298989.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryan Wersal @ 2011-11-02 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

I can confirm that all network drives are functioning correctly. Just to be thorough, I also removed all network drives. The problem continues to persist.

* Re: Emacs launches excruciatingly slowly
@ 2011-11-03  5:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1660.1320298989.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-11-03  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ryan Wersal <ryan@ryanwersal.com>
> Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:34:40 -0500
> Cc: "<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I can confirm that all network drives are functioning correctly. Just to be thorough, I also removed all network drives. The problem continues to persist.

Can you use some OS-monitoring tool, like Process Monitor, to see just
what Emacs is doing during those long minutes?

If you can install GDB (you can find one on the MinGW site), then
starting GDB like this:

 gdb -p EMACS_PID

where EMACS_PID is the Emacs process ID (a number shown, e.g., by the
Task Manager), and then, once GDB is up and shows its "(gdb)" prompt,
typing this command:

 (gdb) thread apply all bt

will show where each one of the Emacs threads is wasting the time.

Doing that procedure several times during the wait should reveal where
this time is spent.  (After each "thread apply" command, type "q" to
exit the debugger and let Emacs run some more, then repeat the above
recipe.)

(It sounds like this kind of issue should be discussed not here, but
rather on emacs-devel@gnu.org, or as part of a bug report sent with
"M-x report-emacs-bug RET" so please follow up there.)

@ 2011-11-03 13:23       ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-11-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 3, 10:43 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Ryan Wersal <r...@ryanwersal.com>
> > Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:34:40 -0500
> > Cc: "<help-gnu-em...@gnu.org>" <help-gnu-em...@gnu.org>
>
> > I can confirm that all network drives are functioning correctly. Just to be thorough, I also removed all network drives. The problem continues to persist.
>
> Can you use some OS-monitoring tool, like Process Monitor, to see just
> what Emacs is doing during those long minutes?
>
> If you can install GDB (you can find one on the MinGW site), then
> starting GDB like this:
>
>  gdb -p EMACS_PID
>
> where EMACS_PID is the Emacs process ID (a number shown, e.g., by the
> Task Manager), and then, once GDB is up and shows its "(gdb)" prompt,
> typing this command:
>
>  (gdb) thread apply all bt
>
> will show where each one of the Emacs threads is wasting the time.
>
> Doing that procedure several times during the wait should reveal where
> this time is spent.  (After each "thread apply" command, type "q" to
> exit the debugger and let Emacs run some more, then repeat the above
> recipe.)
>
> (It sounds like this kind of issue should be discussed not here, but
> rather on emacs-de...@gnu.org, or as part of a bug report sent with
> "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" so please follow up there.)

I remember emacs hanging (well maybe I should say 'hanging' because I
did not wait 43 minutes :-).
This must have been about 9-10 years ago, linux box on internal
network when something was wrong with the network.  Dont remember
exactly what wrong...

Doing something to the effect of 'networking off' (again dont remember
the details) made emacs startup normal (2-3 seconds).

Unplugging the network cord without doing the corresponding command
worsens/causes the problem