* UTF8_STRING vs. COMPOUND_TEXT
@ 2011-01-11 13:29 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-01-11 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I use Debian Etch/Lenny with fvwm I use:

  (when (equal window-system 'x)
   (progn
     (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
     (setq selection-coding-system 'compound-text-with-extensions)
     (setq x-select-request-type '(UTF8_STRING COMPOUND_TEXT TEXT STRING))
     (modify-coding-system-alist 'process ".*" 'utf-8-unix)
     ))

to allow properly put text from clipboard to Emacs.

When I give my .emacs to my friend with Ubuntu 10.10 and GNOME
he report trouble with paste to Emacs.

To fix I just remove 'UTF8_STRING':

    (setq x-select-request-type '(COMPOUND_TEXT TEXT STRING))

WTF: COMPOUND_TEXT. It make me mad many times.

How I can know which encoding used by X Window?
On which this depend?

* Re: UTF8_STRING vs. COMPOUND_TEXT
@ 2011-01-11 17:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-01-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.01.2011 um 14:29 schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko:

> How I can know which encoding used by X Window?
> On which this depend?

Age, version number, objects in the X server, the window manager, the
X clients. When libiconv, libXft, Pango are used, it's likely a modern
system. Fvwm is from last millennium.

OTOH, a simple copy&paste check would show.

--
Greetings

   Pete
You can never know too little of what is not worth knowing at all.
			– Anon.