On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:14:25PM +0200, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote: > tomas wrote: > > >>> https://www.unicode.org/Public/zipped/13.0.0/ > >> > >> Thanks, how does it happen from Emacs? > > > > You're welcome. What do you mean by "it" and by "happens"? > > Finding the URL? Downloading the database? Something else? > > When Emacs shows output with `describe-char' and it says in > the docstring it gets it from a database: > > the character's canonical name and other properties defined > by the Unicode Data Base (sorry, fell asleep last night) You mean: how do those things get into Emacs? For this, I did a trick I like to do when I barely know what I'm doing. - first, find an Unicode codepoint name which is somewhat distinctive (meaning: a string not likely to appear "spontaneously" out there by some strange genetic coincidence). I went with "REVERSED QUESTION MARK". - grep the Emacs sources for it (M-x grep find is my friend. It wants to be yours ;-) You do have the Emacs sources around, don't you? And here it is: admin/unidata/UnicodeData.txt There is a README file in that directory explaining where (and when) all those files come from. Or is it something else you are after? Cheers - t