On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:14:59PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote: > I understand that local variables are meant for buffer customization that ^^^^^ > one uses most often in mode hooks. There has been some misunderstanding. You surely mean... "buffer-local" up there. > By not very good I meant: Can we have a typical example and how it would look like. > I mean, rather than with foo, bar, a, g, temp, body. For instance, making a command > for some particular mode buffer, and a brief description of what is achieved. Apologies > should I not understand how hard that can be. Hope my comment helps transmit what I mean > better. I just have a typical example in front of me right now. I have a small program written in Scheme. To make sure Emacs starts Scheme mode, the end of the file has: ;; Local Variables: ;; mode: scheme ;; End: This makes sure the variable `mode' is set to the value "scheme". But this has to happen buffer-locally, so only the buffer visiting that file is set to scheme major mode. Would that happen to all buffers, I might end up pretty confused. Does that make sense? Cheers - t