On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 06:41:44PM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote: > > > Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 at 5:02 PM > > From: tomas@tuxteam.de [...] > > > On that last sentence that is so. It is not always the failure of > > > readers [...] > > > > Most definitely not. To clarify: I think trying to think of this as the "failure of some person" is an error. It's a failure of communication. > But when I find myself paraphrasing (badly, at > > that) what's already written in the manual, I've to step back and > > ask myself whether I'm doing anything wrong. > > You tried to explain it better, but think the wording in the manual > described things better. This was my realisation, too :) > Nothing wrong about that. Thank you for > trying to clarify things. Also, there is nothing wrong with giving > up. I was just saying how it was for me, that's all. I'm not giving up. Just stepping back to think. Your input helps, appreciated. > As more people get to use emacs, what was adequate before, becomes > inadequate. Sometimes it's just difficult to wrap one's head around things. "Local" variables with different kinds of locality is one of those, but they are there for a reason. Life in Emacs without buffer-local variables would be way more difficult. Imagine the mess a complex mode (like CC mode) would be if you always had to consult some buffer-bound data structure instead of having buffer-local variables disguised as "globals". Imagine the organizational mess minor modes would be. Now my head hurts :) > Many things will change and people would want to use it > in different ways and at different levels of sophistication. A > possibility could be not about writing more, but organise better. > > After all we want that others are pleased with our work. Definitely. Cheers - t