* Key sequence completion with evil
@ 2018-08-28 22:17 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2018-08-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

Using evil and evil-leader with emacs 26.1 Gui on Ubuntu 16.04

I'd welcome recommendations and/or comments regarding a package to
enable key sequence completion in evil normal and insert states as
well as evil emacs state.

I know that there are many completion packages and that those
packages offer other features, but the primary feature I am
interested in is where interactive candidates are offered (as
opposed to non interactive textual candidates such as C-h would
provide.)

Icicles? Ido? Ivy? ....

P.S. Have tried spacemacs. Not for me at this time.
--
Tim Johnson
http://www.tj49.com

* RE: Key sequence completion with evil
@ 2018-08-28 22:46 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2018-08-28 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson, Emacs

> Using evil and evil-leader with emacs 26.1 Gui on Ubuntu 16.04
>
> I'd welcome recommendations and/or comments regarding a package to
> enable key sequence completion in evil normal and insert states as
> well as evil emacs state.
>
> I know that there are many completion packages and that those
> packages offer other features, but the primary feature I am
> interested in is where interactive candidates are offered (as
> opposed to non interactive textual candidates such as C-h would
> provide.)
>
> Icicles? Ido? Ivy? ....

No idea how well it interacts with Evil, but Icicles has key-sequence completion.

You can see all keys available at the current time (including after one or more prefix keys). You can filter (narrow) the set of candidates any number of times, by matching against key names or command names. You can sort the candidates in a few ways. You can traverse the key-sequence hierarchy (e.g., go back up prefix keys). You can traverse menu-bar menus too.

As with any Icicles completion, you can initiate this on demand or automatically (e.g. after a delay).

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion

* Re: Key sequence completion with evil
@ 2018-08-28 23:22   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2018-08-28 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [180828 14:53]:
> > Using evil and evil-leader with emacs 26.1 Gui on Ubuntu 16.04
> >
> > I'd welcome recommendations and/or comments regarding a package to
> > enable key sequence completion in evil normal and insert states as
> > well as evil emacs state.
> >
> > I know that there are many completion packages and that those
> > packages offer other features, but the primary feature I am
> > interested in is where interactive candidates are offered (as
> > opposed to non interactive textual candidates such as C-h would
> > provide.)
> >
> > Icicles? Ido? Ivy? ....
>
> No idea how well it interacts with Evil, but Icicles has key-sequence completion.
  We'll see then and report back with results.

> You can see all keys available at the current time (including
> after one or more prefix keys). You can filter (narrow) the set of
> candidates any number of times, by matching against key names or
> command names. You can sort the candidates in a few ways. You can
> traverse the key-sequence hierarchy (e.g., go back up prefix
> keys). You can traverse menu-bar menus too.

> As with any Icicles completion, you can initiate this on demand or
> automatically (e.g. after a delay).

> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion
  Will download and try.
  thanks, Drew
--

@ 2018-08-29  3:05   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2018-08-29  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [180828 15:05]:
> > Using evil and evil-leader with emacs 26.1 Gui on Ubuntu 16.04
> >
> > I'd welcome recommendations and/or comments regarding a package
> > to enable key sequence completion in evil normal and insert
> > states as well as evil emacs state.
> >
> > I know that there are many completion packages and that those
> > packages offer other features, but the primary feature I am
> > interested in is where interactive candidates are offered (as
> > opposed to non interactive textual candidates such as C-h would
> > provide.)
> >
> > Icicles? Ido? Ivy? ....
>
> No idea how well it interacts with Evil, but Icicles has
> key-sequence completion.
>
> You can see all keys available at the current time (including
> after one or more prefix keys). You can filter (narrow) the set of
> candidates any number of times, by matching against key names or
> command names. You can sort the candidates in a few ways. You can
> traverse the key-sequence hierarchy (e.g., go back up prefix
> keys). You can traverse menu-bar menus too.
>
> As with any Icicles completion, you can initiate this on demand or
> automatically (e.g. after a delay).
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion
  I've taken a cursory installation and inspection of icicles, then
  of ivy and then of which-keys.

  Icicles does not function in evil normal mode when key sequences
  are initiated. But that is without any customization. (shift-TAB
  is not recognized) When I invoke the icicles customization menu I
  see numerous options with the text "UNINITIALIZED, you should not
  see this."

  This tells me that Drew has anticipated issues and has remedies in
  mind.

  On the other hand, 'which-key works as advertised and from a
  cursory and initial experience is what I'm looking for in terms of
  key sequence completion.

  Ivy has not generated any opinions of mine thus far ...

  Having said that, I recognize that icicles is a very rich
  contribution which appears to have a wide variety of functionality.

  Should Drew have the time to address the "UNINITIALIZED, you should
  not see this." messages and possible subsequent issues I would
  - given my time constraints - happy to see if we can get icicles
	key sequence completion working in evil normal state. Key
	sequence completion works like a charm and as advertized when I
	toggle C-z but not when the "normal state" is in effect.

  As always, I'm enthralled with what emacsen have contributed.

  FYI: I'm on Alaska Daylight Time zone.

  cheers.
--

@ 2018-08-30  0:38     ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2018-08-30  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [180828 19:11]:

>   Icicles does not function in evil normal mode when key sequences
>   are initiated. But that is without any customization. (shift-TAB
>   is not recognized)> --
    With some OTL help from Drew, I have found out that I probably
	need to add shift-TAB to the evil keymaps.
    The relevant link is
	https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion#KeymapsInaccessibleFromGlobalMap

	I'll stick with which-key. It has a small footprint and provides
	key sequence completion candidates only. Icicles has many,
	many features which I intend to investigate more thoroughly
	later.

	thanks to all.

--
Tim Johnson