* Unicode Strings in Emacs Info C-h i
@ 2016-03-04  7:03 Mike Vertolli
From: Mike Vertolli @ 2016-03-04  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm stumped at this point. Initially the values were displayed with escapes
(e.g., /u2018). I swapped the localization to en_US.UTF-8 and now they are
being displayed as small, square, filled-in boxes. Re-coding in the editor
has no effect (already reading the file as UTF8).

I'm running a Gentoo distro. I'd rather not have to find and replace.

Thanks in advance,

* Re: Unicode Strings in Emacs Info C-h i
@ 2016-03-04 11:03 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-03-04 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Unicode Strings in Emacs Info C-h i
@ 2016-03-04 12:39   ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2016-03-04 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> My hunch is that Emacs displays the correct (Unicode)
> characters, but that you don't have a suitable font (set).
>
> As a first approach, put point on one of those little boxes and
> enter
>
>   M-x describe-char
>
> What happens?
>
> You might want to install a more complete font. Unless you
> *want* to have (non-ascii) Unicode characters displayed as
> \u2018, that is. In that case...  there should be an option for
> that, but I'd have to look it up, sorry.

Something i've found really useful to help maximise the number of
Unicode glyphs available for display is the `unicode-fonts`
package:

https://github.com/rolandwalker/unicode-fonts

which is available from MELPA:

http://melpa.org/#/unicode-fonts

Alexis.

* Re: Unicode Strings in Emacs Info C-h i
@ 2016-03-04 14:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-03-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mike Vertolli <michaelvertolli@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 07:03:13 +0000
>
> I'm stumped at this point. Initially the values were displayed with escapes
> (e.g., /u2018). I swapped the localization to en_US.UTF-8 and now they are
> being displayed as small, square, filled-in boxes. Re-coding in the editor
> has no effect (already reading the file as UTF8).

It is not enough to set the locale to UTF-8, you need also to make
sure that your console or terminal emulator support a large enough
range of Unicode codepoints.  The way you did it, Emacs sees your
locale and assumes your terminal can display these characters, so it
sends their UTF-8 codes to the terminal.  But the terminal doesn't
know how to display them.

* Re: Unicode Strings in Emacs Info C-h i
@ 2016-03-04 20:04   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2016-03-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Vertolli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Mike Vertolli <michaelvertolli@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 07:03:13 +0000
>>
>> I'm stumped at this point. Initially the values were displayed with escapes
>> (e.g., /u2018). I swapped the localization to en_US.UTF-8 and now they are
>> being displayed as small, square, filled-in boxes. Re-coding in the editor
>> has no effect (already reading the file as UTF8).
>
> It is not enough to set the locale to UTF-8, you need also to make
> sure that your console or terminal emulator support a large enough
> range of Unicode codepoints.  The way you did it, Emacs sees your
> locale and assumes your terminal can display these characters, so it
> sends their UTF-8 codes to the terminal.  But the terminal doesn't
> know how to display them.

To expand on Eli's reply....  Try running Emacs in X instead of in the
terminal emulator.  If the UTF characters are displayed correctly then
the problem is your terminal emulator.

BR,
Robert Thorpe