* Day of week + time in mode-line
@ 2015-12-31 10:57 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2015-12-31 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I was looking through package-list-packages and searching the web
for a mehod to show, e.g., "Thu(rsday) 31, 13:42" in my mode-line.

Isn't this a quite common requirement for people living in Emacs?

I want to get date/time on my display even when my Emacs is in full
screen mode[1].

[1] http://emacs-doctor.com/emacs-strip-tease.html

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are

* Re: Day of week + time in mode-line
@ 2015-12-31 11:01 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-31 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I was looking through package-list-packages and searching the web
> for a mehod to show, e.g., "Thu(rsday) 31, 13:42" in my mode-line.
>
> Isn't this a quite common requirement for people living in Emacs?
>
> I want to get date/time on my display even when my Emacs is in full
> screen mode[1].
>

> [1] http://emacs-doctor.com/emacs-strip-tease.html

All I've had to do is this:

(display-time-mode t)
(setq display-time-day-and-date t)

See if that works as you like? My mode line is pretty much as you'd like it...

* Re: Day of week + time in mode-line
@ 2016-01-02 12:58   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-01-02 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I want to get date/time on my display even when my Emacs is in full
>> screen mode[1].
>>
>> [1] http://emacs-doctor.com/emacs-strip-tease.html
>
> All I've had to do is this:
> (display-time-mode t)
> (setq display-time-day-and-date t)
> See if that works as you like? My mode line is pretty much as you'd like it...

Thanks for the pointer!

My setup is similar:

(display-time-mode t)
(setq display-time-string-forms
      '((propertize (format-time-string "%A %F %R" now) 'face 'bold)))