Hi, I noticed for a while now, tramp ignores my control path settings for a remote host. To elaborate, I have the following in my ~/.ssh/config. Host * Protocol 2 TCPKeepAlive yes ServerAliveInterval 60 ControlPath /tmp/ssh-ControlPath-%r@%h:%p Now I connect to a remote host from the terminal like this: $ ssh -M remotehost For any subsequent connections from another terminal, I can do the following to login without having to type my password. SSH sees a control path for the host exists, and establishes the subsequent connection piggy-backing on the first. $ ssh remotehost Now when from emacs I try to open a remote file, C-x C-f /remotehost:path/to/file RET I get prompted for a password: "Password for /ssh:remotehost: ". Entering it doesn't let me open the remote file either. The attached log file has the messages from the Messages and tramp debug buffer. Any ideas what is wrong? PS: While writing this email, I realised maybe there is a conflict with the ControlPath for remotehost and the ControlPath used by tramp. -- Suvayu Open source is the future. It sets us free.