* resize emacs frame / gui-window via keybinding
@ 2012-08-21 18:22 Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-08-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

Is there a way to resize an emacs-frame via a custom defined shortcut?
(like you can change the initial frame size by changing the variable initial-frame-alist)

thanks!

* Re: resize emacs frame / gui-window via keybinding
@ 2012-08-21 19:39 ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2012-08-21 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferdinand; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

You have {enlarge,shrink}-window-{horizontally,vertically}; maybe that's
what you're looking for.

@ 2012-08-21 20:06   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-08-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark Skilbeck', 'Ferdinand'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Is there a way to resize an emacs-frame via a custom
> > defined shortcut?
>
> You have {enlarge,shrink}-window-{horizontally,vertically};
> maybe that's what you're looking for.

No, those are for Emacs windows, not frames.

But there are commands to do this in `frame-cmds.el' (e.g.
`(enlarge|shrink)-frame(-horizontally)'.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/FrameModes#FrameCommands

* Re: resize emacs frame / gui-window via keybinding
       [not found] <mailman.7352.1345573403.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-08-22  1:15 ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2012-08-22  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Depends on why (as always, it would help us help you :-)). For instance, I have this in my .emacs - it sizes Emacs to fill the screen on startup (Windows XP - otherwise I have to do it manually on each startup :-( ).

(defun enlarge-frame ()
  "Enlarge the selected frame to fill a sizeable portion of the screen,
based on the current screen resolution"
  (interactive)
  ;; Set the frame size
  ;; set the new width, with a little space on the sides
  (setq lframe-width (- (/ (x-display-pixel-width) (frame-char-width)) 8))
  ;; set the new height, allowing for title bars
  (setq lframe-height (- (/ (x-display-pixel-height) (frame-char-height)) 5))
  ;; apply to the selected frame
  (set-frame-size (selected-frame) lframe-width lframe-height))

The final line in the .emacs is this (otherwise if you just run it as part of your .emacs it resizes during loading of the .emacs and then reverts to the default "small" size after it has completed processing your .emacs!):

(run-at-time "0.1 sec" nil 'enlarge-frame)

Depending, you might need to expand the time specified in this last statement.

Hope this is a possible solution to why you want to know this information :-)

Peter

* Re: resize emacs frame / gui-window via keybinding
@ 2012-08-22  5:02   ` Jeffrey Spencer
From: Jeffrey Spencer @ 2012-08-22  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, gnu.emacs.help