From: Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Hide extraneous buffers?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 19:40:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 19:38:27 +0100
From: Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us>
To: BDB <noemail@yahoo.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 06:03:20PM +0000, BDB wrote:
> Is there any way to hide the *scratch*, Messages, Completions etc buffers?
> I kill them but they always come back, and it's a pain to have to cycle
> through 6 buffers when I only really have 3 meaningful ones open.

How exactly are you cycling through the buffers? If you know the names of
the buffers, simply using C-x b with a partial-string can complete the buffer
name for you. If you don't know the names of the buffers you're interested in,
you're still going ot require casting an eye on the buffer list. Really, what's
3 extra buffer names?

I admit, when I first started using emacs, those ephemeral buffers got in my
way. Now I don't notice them.

- mgsk.

P.S. If you're not, you should probably be using IDO[1].

[1] http://emacswiki.org/emacs/InteractivelyDoThings