* emacs runs 'svn status -v' after every save
@ 2011-01-15  3:16 Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2011-01-15  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've noticed that emacs-23.2.91 runs "svn status -v" each time that I
save a buffer whose file is under svn version control.  However, this
seems to be specific to the svn backend: the git backend does not run
"git status" on save, and the cvs backend does not run "cvs status" on
save.

I'd like to know (1) why emacs needs to run svn status after every
save, and (2) how I can convince emacs not to do this :)

For the sake of giving a concrete example, let's say that I have a
file named svn.txt, which was checked out from a subversion
repository.

  + emacs -Q -nw

  + evaluate the expression "(setq vc-command-messages t)" in the
    *scratch* buffer.

  + C-x f /path/to/svn.txt RET

  + edit the buffer, then C-x C-s

In the *Messages* buffer, this produces

   Saving file /home/srevilak/tmp/src/svn.txt...
   Wrote /home/srevilak/tmp/src/svn.txt
   Running svn status -v svn.txt in foreground...
   Running svn status -v svn.txt...OK = 0

I have two builds of emacs-23.2.91: one on OpenSUSE 11.3, and other on
Mac OS X 10.6.  Both exhibit the same behavior (with svn 1.6).

I've checked before-save-hook and after-save-hook, and both are nil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve