From: Rodrigo Canellas <rodrigo.canellas@tqtvd.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: automatic new-line after 80 columns
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:25:40 -0300	[thread overview]

Em Tuesday 17 February 2009 19:21:10 B. T. Raven escreveu:
> Rodrigo Canellas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I really can not find how to set 'emacs' to add a new-line when the line reaches the 80th column.
> >
> > In 'ccmode', I set it fot the comments, but I would like to define for C++ code as well.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >

> How does what you want differ from the behavior you see if you type this
> in a buffer:
>
> C-u 80 C-x f C-u 1 M-x auto-fill-mode
>
> ??
> I think this is a minor mode that works with most programming languages.
>
> Ed

I created a file '/var/tmp/t.cpp'.
Then when I typed 'C-u 80 C-x f', 'emacs' said 'Fill column set to 80 (was 70)'
And when I typed 'C-u 1 M-x auto-fill-mode', it did not say anything.

I typed this:
#include <iostream>

void function_very_very_very_big_but_i_mean_really_big ( ) {
    {
	{
	    {
		{
		    {
			{
			    {
				{
				    {
					{
					    {
						{
						    {
							{
							    {
								object_a = fc_abc( ) ;

Here I expected it would change to:

void function_very_very_very_big_but_i_mean_really_big ( ) {
    {
	{
	    {
		{
		    {
			{
			    {
				{
				    {
					{
					    {
						{
						    {
							{
							    {
								object_a =
                                                                      fc_abc( ) ;

I mean, to respect  the limit of 80 bytes per line, 'emacs' should insert a new-line after the '='.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

believed to be clean.