* Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-21 11:38 Lave
From: Lave @ 2008-10-21 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all.

I'm wondering how to use git in emacs. Is there a good front-end for
git in emacs ?

Thanks.
--
Lave

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
       [not found] <mailman.1681.1224589095.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-21 18:44 ` Wei Weng
From: Wei Weng @ 2008-10-21 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lave wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm wondering how to use git in emacs. Is there a good front-end for
> git in emacs ?
>
> Thanks.

Try magit: http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/

Wei

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-21 21:03 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-21 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lave; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lave <lave.wang.w@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering how to use git in emacs. Is there a good front-end for
> git in emacs ?

There are a few:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/Git

I currently use (a heavily modified version of) git.el

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-22  0:25 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1782.1224671087.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-10-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lave; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   I'm wondering how to use git in emacs. Is there a good front-end for
   git in emacs ?

There are several at different maturity level. If you are used to
VC, then vc-git.el is for you. There is also DVC which offers
homogeneous access to different DVCs such as git, GNU bzr, ...

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-22 10:24   ` Lave
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1782.1224671087.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lave @ 2008-10-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have no experience of using VC, I just want a interface for git.

Git.el saids allow user to use full functionality of Git. But I found
Magit having more. I'll try Magit first.

Thanks you all.

--
Regards

@ 2008-10-22 21:13     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-22 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lave <lave.wang.w@gmail.com> writes:

> I have no experience of using VC, I just want a interface for git.
>
> Git.el saids allow user to use full functionality of Git. But I found
> Magit having more. I'll try Magit first.
>
> Thanks you all.

A little OT, but ...

I would be interested in which tutorials people used to learn how best
to use GIT. I've found plenty of examples of how it works, but none of
how to work *with* it. e.g A programmer has 3 main directory hierarchies
he wishes to control. Do all 3 go in one repository? Where does that
repository reside? Local? Remote? Does one need to check in /out etc -
I'm sure its out there but its hard to find beneath all the explanations
tend to concentrate on that which the user doesn't generally care about
such as how git stores "blobs" and how it hashes file names etc.

This is a start but is svn orientated, but any other pointers
appreciated preferably without svn and only using git.

http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/archives/2008/06/how_projects_us.html

,----
| The best articles about distributed version control systems for me, are
| not those who explain the internals and the user interface, but how
| specific projects use those tools to get things done.
`----

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-23  9:18       ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-10-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Lave <lave.wang.w@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have no experience of using VC, I just want a interface for git.
>>
>> Git.el saids allow user to use full functionality of Git. But I found
>> Magit having more. I'll try Magit first.
>>
>> Thanks you all.
>
> A little OT, but ...
>
> I would be interested in which tutorials people used to learn how best
> to use GIT. I've found plenty of examples of how it works, but none of
> how to work *with* it. e.g A programmer has 3 main directory hierarchies
> he wishes to control. Do all 3 go in one repository?

All the advice I've heard so far indicates that you should use different
repos for different projects (or sub-projects, if it's a large
project). This makes it easier to clone out just what you want, and can
make some operations quicker. Also, it just makes sense :-)

> Where does that repository reside? Local? Remote? Does one need to
> check in /out etc - I'm sure its out there but its hard to find
> beneath all the explanations tend to concentrate on that which the
> user doesn't generally care about such as how git stores "blobs" and
> how it hashes file names etc.

If you're the only person working on a project, you don't need to have
the repo remotely accessible. Note that *everybody* gets a *complete*
repository - so a remote/centralized repo is mostly useful if you want
to people be able to clone "your" repository, and/or push back their
changes without manual interference.

Also: you can commit / branch etc to your own repo as much as you like,
and you only need to merge/push your stuff to the "main" repo (if there
is one) once you're ready with that branch.

> This is a start but is svn orientated, but any other pointers
> appreciated preferably without svn and only using git.

You may want to check out the documentation on github.com: it has lots
of practical day-to-day tips:

http://github.com/guides/home

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-23 14:35       ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2008-10-23 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Richard Riley

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:13:23PM +0200, Richard Riley wrote:
>I would be interested in which tutorials people used to learn how best
>to use GIT. I've found plenty of examples of how it works, but none of
>how to work *with* it. e.g A programmer has 3 main directory hierarchies
>he wishes to control. Do all 3 go in one repository? Where does that
>repository reside? Local? Remote? Does one need to check in /out etc -
>I'm sure its out there but its hard to find beneath all the explanations
>tend to concentrate on that which the user doesn't generally care about
>such as how git stores "blobs" and how it hashes file names etc.
>
>This is a start but is svn orientated, but any other pointers
>appreciated preferably without svn and only using git.
>
>http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/archives/2008/06/how_projects_us.html

This document was useful (although git-init is not covered):
http://cworth.org/hgbook-git/tour/

This document provided a useful succinct overview for me:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

What I myself am looking for is a document explaining how to get git
working with ECB Version Control.

Cheers,
Jonathan.

* Re: Which git front-end in emacs is better?
@ 2008-10-28 11:39         ` Lave
From: Lave @ 2008-10-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have tried magit. It's cool. Only a little confused by it's log format.

But there is another question. I read through it's manual, but didn't
find how to create or apply a patch. How to do that?

--

@ 2008-11-14 15:02       ` Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2008-11-14 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Richard Riley wrote:

[snip]
> I would be interested in which tutorials people used to learn how best
> to use GIT. I've found plenty of examples of how it works, but none of
> how to work *with* it. e.g A programmer has 3 main directory hierarchies
> he wishes to control. Do all 3 go in one repository? Where does that
> repository reside? Local? Remote? Does one need to check in /out etc -
> I'm sure its out there but its hard to find beneath all the explanations
> tend to concentrate on that which the user doesn't generally care about
> such as how git stores "blobs" and how it hashes file names etc.
[snip]

Hello Richard,

Try http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/ for a simple
look at git. From other tutorials I could see what git could do but
was still a little confused. This helped.

Regards,

Chris.

--
oOoOo       "Spamby!  Do not put in mouth or rectum." - HCTV       oOoOo
 oOoOo                                                            oOoOo