* Setting user-emacs-directory
@ 2008-10-21 14:08 abc
From: abc @ 2008-10-21 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent Emacs convert. I'm trying to customize a little bit GNU
Emacs 23 for my Mac OS X system.

I'd like change the user directory (usually ~/.emacs.d) and the init
file placing them inside ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs and ~/Library/
Preferences/Emacs/Preferences.el, respectively. Currently I'm
achieving this by using symbolic links.

I'd like to know if there's a cleaner way to do this other than
editing Emacs scripts (subr.el), e.g. by setting some environment
variables. I've tried to set the user-emacs-directory from my init
file, but Emacs ignores me, and still creates auto-save-list inside
~/.emacs.d.

Thanks in advance.