* Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
@ 2008-09-10  9:35 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-09-10  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-emacs-help

Hello,

I'm planning to give up screen to handle my serial port but I'd like
to find a solution using emacs.

Does anybody have already a nice solution for this ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
@ 2008-09-10  9:47 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-09-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

> I'm planning to give up screen to handle my serial port but I'd like
> to find a solution using emacs.
>
> Does anybody have already a nice solution for this ?

In GNU Emacs 23 there's:

,----[ /usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/NEWS ]
| ** Emacs now supports serial port access on GNU/Linux, Unix, and
| Windows.  The new command `serial-term' starts an interactive terminal
| on a serial port.  The serial port can be configured at runtime with
| the mode-line mouse menu.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
@ 2008-09-10 10:07   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-09-10 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Tassilo

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> In GNU Emacs 23 there's:
>
> ,----[ /usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/NEWS ]
> | ** Emacs now supports serial port access on GNU/Linux, Unix, and
> | Windows.  The new command `serial-term' starts an interactive terminal
> | on a serial port.  The serial port can be configured at runtime with
> | the mode-line mouse menu.
> `----

argh, I definitely need to move to emacs 23...

Thanks !
--

@ 2008-09-10 10:34 ` Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2008-09-10 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: francis.moro; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

Hi,

I don't do such things but it might be a good idea indeed,
except that serial ports are less and less present on modern
boards. Anyway if you carry out such a job it might be usefull
for other port types as well !

Regards

Pierre

From: "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com>
Subject: Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:35:36 +0200

@ 2008-10-22 22:25 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-10-22 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

Hi,

[Sorry to dig up this topic]

   I'm planning to give up screen to handle my serial port but I'd like
   to find a solution using emacs.

Can you explain me in what it consisted using screen ? I do not
see what you mean and maybe it could be the solution to one of my
problem.

Regards,

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
@ 2008-10-23 19:47   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

Hello,

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    I'm planning to give up screen to handle my serial port but I'd
> like to find a solution using emacs.
>
> Can you explain me in what it consisted using screen ? I do not
> see what you mean and maybe it could be the solution to one of my
> problem.

Well, it was quiet simple.

Currently I'm using GNU Screen for several reasons:

  - its 'detach' feature;
  - it can handle all tty devices such as serial tty;
  - I can run emacs in one buffer and a shell in an other.

I was trying to get rid of GNU Screen in order to do all my tasks in
emacs, hence my question: try to open /dev/ttyS with emacs.

But I found emacs terminal emulation quiet bad, for example frequently
the '\n' character has no effect and all lines are echoed on the same
line. Also I loose some of bash key bindings.

Hope that answers to your question.

@ 2008-10-30 23:25     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-10-30 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

Hello

[Catching up on mail backlog]

   > Can you explain me in what it consisted using screen ? I do not
   > see what you mean and maybe it could be the solution to one of my
   > problem.

   Well, it was quiet simple.

   Currently I'm using GNU Screen for several reasons:

     - its 'detach' feature;
     - it can handle all tty devices such as serial tty;
     - I can run emacs in one buffer and a shell in an other.

   I was trying to get rid of GNU Screen in order to do all my tasks in
   emacs, hence my question: try to open /dev/ttyS with emacs.

   But I found emacs terminal emulation quiet bad, for example frequently
   the '\n' character has no effect and all lines are echoed on the same
   line. Also I loose some of bash key bindings.

   Hope that answers to your question.

Not really. Maybe I misunderstand what you are doing. What is the
goal behind this task ?

Sorry to bother.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
@ 2008-10-31 20:41       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-31 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Not really. Maybe I misunderstand what you are doing. What is the
> goal behind this task ?

Which task ?

I just want to be able to read data from my serial port.

Currently I'm using Gnu Screen by doing:

$ screen /dev/ttyS0 57600

But I'd like to read the data directly from emacs.

@ 2008-10-31 23:08         ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-10-31 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I just want to be able to read data from my serial port.

From the NEWS file (in CVS):

@ 2008-11-03 11:25         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-11-03 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

   Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

   > Not really. Maybe I misunderstand what you are doing. What is the
   > goal behind this task ?

   Which task ?

   I just want to be able to read data from my serial port.

   Currently I'm using Gnu Screen by doing:

   $ screen /dev/ttyS0 57600

   But I'd like to read the data directly from emacs.

Ok, got it now :)

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Sondage: how people manage /dev/ttyS* inside emacs
@ 2008-11-03 23:25           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-11-03 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Bockgård; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

   > I just want to be able to read data from my serial port.

   >From the NEWS file (in CVS):

       ** Emacs now supports serial port access on GNU/Linux, Unix, and
       Windows. The new command `serial-term' starts an interactive
       terminal on a serial port. The serial port can be configured at
       runtime with the mode-line mouse menu.

Already posted. I was just curious at what Francis did previously
with screen and ttys. Thank you.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org