* Redistributing Text After Editing
@ 2006-10-30  1:36 Bill
From: Bill @ 2006-10-30  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's quite possible I'm missing something, but is there a way to make
Emacs OS X Tiger automatically redistribute text after making an edit
in a paragraph?

This would be the equivalent of selecting the fill command under the
Edit menu, only it would take place automatically.

Thanks

* Re: Redistributing Text After Editing
       [not found] <mailman.417.1162172211.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-30  3:26 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2006-10-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.417.1162172211.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Bill wrote:
> It's quite possible I'm missing something, but is there a way to make
> Emacs OS X Tiger automatically redistribute text after making an edit
> in a paragraph?

What does it mean to redistribute text? Are you looking for M-q?

--
Maarten Bergvelt

@ 2006-10-30  3:30 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-10-30  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill <tfc4@cybcon.com> writes:

> It's quite possible I'm missing something, but is there a way to make
> Emacs OS X Tiger automatically redistribute text after making an edit
> in a paragraph?
>
> This would be the equivalent of selecting the fill command under the
> Edit menu, only it would take place automatically.

I can't say I know how to make it automatic, but M-q will refill the
current paragraph.  Also, M-x auto-fill-mode will do line breaks
automatically.

--
burton samograd                                             kruhft .at. gmail
       buy my music => http://kruhft.boldlygoingnowhere.org/buy.html

@ 2006-10-30  5:36 ` Sam Peterson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.436.1162224357.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sam Peterson @ 2006-10-30  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > It's quite possible I'm missing something, but is there a way to
    > make Emacs OS X Tiger automatically redistribute text after
    > making an edit in a paragraph?

    > This would be the equivalent of selecting the fill command under
    > the Edit menu, only it would take place automatically.

    > Thanks

Take a look at M-x refill-mode.

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson At nospam ucdavis.edu

* Re: Redistributing Text After Editing
@ 2006-10-30 16:05   ` bjemacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.436.1162224357.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bjemacs @ 2006-10-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's the scenario. I open a page containing several
paragraphs. I begin to edit one of the paragraphs. As I am
editing the paragraph, it begins to take on an 'odd' shape. When
I have finished editing the paragraph I press M-q and the
paragraph takes on a more 'normal' shape.

I'm looking for a way to have Emacs shape the paragraph 'as' I
edit it, rather than having to press M-q each time I'm done
editing the paragraph.

Thanks

@ 2006-10-30 16:14     ` Andy Gimblett
From: Andy Gimblett @ 2006-10-30 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 08:05:50AM -0800, bjemacs wrote:

> Here's the scenario. I open a page containing several
> paragraphs. I begin to edit one of the paragraphs. As I am
> editing the paragraph, it begins to take on an 'odd' shape. When
> I have finished editing the paragraph I press M-q and the
> paragraph takes on a more 'normal' shape.
>
> I'm looking for a way to have Emacs shape the paragraph 'as' I
> edit it, rather than having to press M-q each time I'm done
> editing the paragraph.

Then, as the man said, refill-mode will do what you want.

Add this to your .emacs file:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook '(lambda () (refill-mode)))

Now every time you're in a text mode buffer, refill-mode will be
turned on automatically.  I don't like it personally, but I believe
the above will do what you've asked for...

-Andy

--
Andy Gimblett
Computer Science Department

* Re: Redistributing Text After Editing
@ 2006-10-30 16:21       ` bjemacs
From: bjemacs @ 2006-10-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes! That's it exactly.

Much appreciated.

Bill

@ 2006-10-31  9:47     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-10-31  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:05:50 -0800 (PST), bjemacs <tfc4@cybcon.com> wrote:
>Sam Peterson-2 wrote:
>> Take a look at M-x refill-mode.
>
> Here's the scenario. I open a page containing several
> paragraphs. I begin to edit one of the paragraphs. As I am
> editing the paragraph, it begins to take on an 'odd'
> shape. When I have finished editing the paragraph I press M-q
> and the paragraph takes on a more 'normal' shape.
>
> I'm looking for a way to have Emacs shape the paragraph 'as' I
> edit it, rather than having to press M-q each time I'm done
> editing the paragraph.

This is _exactly_ what `M-x refill-mode RET' enables :-)