* RE: pasting many times
@ 2006-10-25  7:45 Bourgneuf Francois
From: Bourgneuf Francois @ 2006-10-25  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have downloaded browse-kill-ring (http://www.todesschaf.org/projects/bkr.html).
It allows you to browse all the kills you did and choose the one you want to yank.

After you installed it, you'll have to add the following lines in your .emacs :

(require 'browse-kill-ring)
(browse-kill-ring-default-keybindings)

Bour9

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-10-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:45:24 +0200
> From: "Bourgneuf Francois" <francois.bourgneuf@groupe-mma.fr>
>
> I have downloaded browse-kill-ring (http://www.todesschaf.org/projects/bkr.html).
> It allows you to browse all the kills you did and choose the one you want to yank.

I presume you know about the "Edit->Select and Paste" menu item that's
available from the standard Emacs menu bar?  It allows you to do the
same.

* the second most recent key
@ 2006-10-25 22:41   ` vb
From: vb @ 2006-10-25 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to know what was the key pressed immediately before the last
key pressed.

Say there is a macro assigned to a certain key, and the function of this
certain key depends on the key pressed immediately before the function was
invoked.

Is there a way to know what key that was?

TIA,
/vb

* Re: the second most recent key
@ 2006-10-25 23:03     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-10-25 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.10.2006 um 00:41 schrieb vb:

> Is there a way to know what key that was?

M-x view-lossage RET ?

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

* Re: the second most recent key
@ 2006-10-25 23:14       ` vb
From: vb @ 2006-10-25 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Wow, this was quick and it sure shows what I need and then some :-)

Thank you, Peter,

cheers,
/vb

@ 2006-10-26 15:38     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.282.1161884908.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-10-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

vb wrote:
> Is there a way to know what was the key pressed immediately before the last
> key pressed.
>
> Say there is a macro assigned to a certain key, and the function of this
> certain key depends on the key pressed immediately before the function was
> invoked.
>
> Is there a way to know what key that was?

(let* ((recent-keys (recent-keys))
        (keys-length (length recent-keys))) ; should be 100
   (aref recent-keys (- keys-length (length (this-command-keys)) 1)))

--
Kevin

* Re: the second most recent key
@ 2006-10-26 17:48       ` vb
       [not found]       ` <mailman.282.1161884908.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: vb @ 2006-10-26 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Rodgers

On Thursday 26 October 2006 08:38, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> vb wrote:
> > Is there a way to know what was the key pressed immediately before the
> > last key pressed.
> >
> > Say there is a macro assigned to a certain key, and the function of this
> > certain key depends on the key pressed immediately before the function
> > was invoked.
> >
> > Is there a way to know what key that was?
>
> (let* ((recent-keys (recent-keys))
>         (keys-length (length recent-keys))) ; should be 100
>    (aref recent-keys (- keys-length (length (this-command-keys)) 1)))

Kevin,

thank you for spending your time writing this code. Looks like this is exactly
what's needed, even accounting for the number of keys involved in the current
command.

Do I understand it right that Lisp allows local variable named exactly the
same as a function (recent-keys in your example)? An interesting feature...

@ 2006-10-26 17:54         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-10-26 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

vb <help-gnu-emacs@vsbe.com> writes:

> On Thursday 26 October 2006 08:38, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>> vb wrote:
>> > Is there a way to know what was the key pressed immediately before the
>> > last key pressed.
>> >
>> > Say there is a macro assigned to a certain key, and the function of this
>> > certain key depends on the key pressed immediately before the function
>> > was invoked.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to know what key that was?
>>
>> (let* ((recent-keys (recent-keys))
>>         (keys-length (length recent-keys))) ; should be 100
>>    (aref recent-keys (- keys-length (length (this-command-keys)) 1)))
>
> Kevin,
>
> thank you for spending your time writing this code. Looks like this
> is exactly what's needed, even accounting for the number of keys
> involved in the current command.
>
> Do I understand it right that Lisp allows local variable named
> exactly the same as a function (recent-keys in your example)? An
> interesting feature...

Not just local variables, but variables in general.  Lisp symbols have
a four-fold existence: they have a value, a function, a property list,
and a name.  You can access those with `symbol-value',
`symbol-function', `symbol-plist', and `symbol-name'.