* Fullscreen on Windows?
@ 2006-09-04 10:34 Johnston Jiaa
From: Johnston Jiaa @ 2006-09-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently running GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 on Windows.  Is there any way to get it to run fullscreen?  Thanks in advance.

Johnston Jiaa

* Re: Fullscreen on Windows?
@ 2006-09-04 13:21 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-emacs-windows, help-gnu-emacs

Johnston Jiaa wrote:
> I am currently running GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 on Windows.  Is there any
> way to get it to run fullscreen?  Thanks in advance.

First of all, please ask questions that are specific to MS Windows on
the help-emacs-windows list. I am cc-ing my answer to that list.

There has been a decision that Emacs 22 (it is not yet released) should
not support maximized windows. The reason is that the code for this is
untested and the developers does not want to delay the release of Emacs
22 more than necessary.

However if you look at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsW32
you can find links to a patched version that does support maximized
windows. So far I have only seen very minor problems with it.

* Re: Fullscreen on Windows?
@ 2006-09-04 17:49   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-09-04 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:21:37 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> Cc: help-emacs-windows <help-emacs-windows@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Johnston Jiaa wrote:
> > I am currently running GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 on Windows.  Is there any
> > way to get it to run fullscreen?  Thanks in advance.
> >
> First of all, please ask questions that are specific to MS Windows on
> the help-emacs-windows list. I am cc-ing my answer to that list.
>
> There has been a decision that Emacs 22 (it is not yet released) should
> not support maximized windows.

??? Really?  It works for me if I invoke Emacs with the --fullscreen
command-line option.

* Re: Fullscreen on Windows?
@ 2006-09-04 18:08     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-04 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-emacs-windows, help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:21:37 +0200
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
>> Cc: help-emacs-windows <help-emacs-windows@gnu.org>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> Johnston Jiaa wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently running GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 on Windows.  Is there any
>>> way to get it to run fullscreen?  Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> First of all, please ask questions that are specific to MS Windows on
>> the help-emacs-windows list. I am cc-ing my answer to that list.
>>
>> There has been a decision that Emacs 22 (it is not yet released) should
>> not support maximized windows.
>>

> ??? Really?  It works for me if I invoke Emacs with the --fullscreen
> command-line option.

That window (Emacs frame) is not maximized. If you look at the bottom of
the screen there might be a few pixels missing. And you can move the
window. You can not do that with a maximized window.

Please see the archive on the devel list for the discussion of this. I
think I sent a patch for it too. (But that is a bit incomplete.)