* How do you customize a Major Mode?
@ 2006-06-14  6:22 Robert Jeffrey Miesen
From: Robert Jeffrey Miesen @ 2006-06-14  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.

    I would like to customize how a couple of major mode work (such as CSS
mode and HTML mode (NOT "HTML helper" mode). How would one go about doing
such a thing? Also, how would one set the default major mode for a certain
class of files?

    Thanks in advance.

--

In Him

* Re: How do you customize a Major Mode?
       [not found] <mailman.2866.1150266092.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-14  8:46 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-06-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Jeffrey Miesen <bobby_miesen@yahoo.com> writes:

>     I would like to customize how a couple of major mode work (such as CSS
> mode and HTML mode (NOT "HTML helper" mode). How would one go about doing
> such a thing?

It depends on what changes you need to do. A general answer could be
"Open html-mod.el and change it", but I won't be that mean... :) Some
people just want to change the "syntax hilighting" (font lock in Emacs
lingua), some want to change the behavior of some function. Maybe if
you describe in more detail what you want to change, people can make
suggestions?

> Also, how would one set the default major mode for a certain
> class of files?

This is how I add the sql, ins, cre and upg file extensions to use
sql-mode:

(setq auto-mode-alist
 (cons '("\\.\\(sql\\|ins\\|cre\\|upg\\)$" . sql-mode) auto-mode-alist))

/Mathias

* Re: How do you customize a Major Mode?
@ 2006-06-14 16:00 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Jeffrey Miesen wrote:
>     I would like to customize how a couple of major mode work (such as CSS
> mode and HTML mode (NOT "HTML helper" mode). How would one go about doing
> such a thing?

M-x customize-mode

--
Kevin