* Re: vertical split autofill
@ 2006-02-05 17:54 Olwe Bottorff
From: Olwe Bottorff @ 2006-02-05 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the info. I did grab the latest
sgml-mode.el, but it seems incompatable with my emacs
21.3.1 on Fedora3. I tried byte-compile and it gave me
the error:
"Invalid escape character syntax". This is what the
regular .el does too when it tries to load when I grab
an .html file. I checked the archives and somebody
mentions the problem but didn't seem to get a
response.

Olwe

--- Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Yes, auto-wrap again. Anyway, I was working on a
> Web
> > page in the default HTML fill mode and it
> auto-wraps
> > the long <p> blocks well enough. However, when I
> split
> > the screen vertically, <p> lines run on to the
> right
> > way off the screen. Horizontal split screen
> doesn't do
> > this, but wraps tolerably well. Is there any way
> > make lines wrap in vertical split? (I saw
> > longlines.el, but I wanted to ask here first.)
>
> auto-fill-mode doesn't pay attention to the size of
> the window that displays
> the buffer.  It just uses fill-column, which you can
> set via C-x f.
>
> > Also, with the M-q command, it seems to move the
> right margin in very
> > aggressively, too much actually. Is there a way to
> tame it to, say, an 80-
> > or 100-character block?
>
> That's what set-fill-column is for.  More than 80 is
> not recommended because
> brains can't handle long lines as well as shorter
> ones.
>
> > Also(^2), in HTML fill mode, the standard C-M-\
> indentation throws
> > everything off, disregarding any tag matching. Is
> there anything out there
> > better than the standard HTML fill mode for Web
> editing?
>
> Try a more recent sgml-mode.el.  The one in
> Emacs-CVS does proper
> indentation.
>

>         Stefan
http://mail.yahoo.com

[parent not found: <mailman.53.1139103141.2870.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Vertical split autofill
@ 2006-02-05  0:57 Olwe Bottorff
From: Olwe Bottorff @ 2006-02-05  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, auto-wrap again. Anyway, I was working on a Web
page in the default HTML fill mode and it auto-wraps
the long <p> blocks well enough. However, when I split
the screen vertically, <p> lines run on to the right
way off the screen. Horizontal split screen doesn't do
this, but wraps tolerably well. Is there any way to
make lines wrap in vertical split? (I saw
longlines.el, but I wanted to ask here first.) Also,
with the M-q command, it seems to move the right
margin in very aggressively, too much actually. Is
there a way to tame it to, say, an 80- or
100-character block? Also(^2), in HTML fill mode, the