* tramp error: Opening output file: no such file or directory, /usr/src/packages/BUILD/emacs-21.3/src/#todo#
@ 2005-10-05 11:22 ken
From: ken @ 2005-10-05 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

A few days I finally got tramp installed and working.  V.2.1.3.  It
connects and opens up files and directories (dired) fine.  Then just
now, while editing a file (named todo) with it, I got this error message
in the minibuffer:

Opening output file: no such file or directory,
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/emacs-21.3/src/#todo#

From the little I know of emacs, I'm guessing that tramp/emacs is
trying to save a temporary file and doesn't have write permission in the
subdir it's configured to do this in.  (It's kind of nuts to have this
subdir as the default for this.)  How do I change this?  I would prefer
to put #todo# in the same subdir as todo... and this would seem to make
the most sense as the default for everyone.

tnx,
ken

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to
live.	-- Bradford Angier

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
	-- Bradford Angier

* Re: tramp error: Opening output file, etc
@ 2005-10-05 13:00 ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-10-05 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 07:22:18AM -0400, ken wrote:

> From the little I know of emacs, I'm guessing that tramp/emacs is
> trying to save a temporary file and doesn't have write permission in the
> subdir it's configured to do this in.  (It's kind of nuts to have this
> subdir as the default for this.)  How do I change this?

Well you can set the variable "tramp-auto-save-directory".

I prefer to have tramp to auto-save locally (its much faster) so I
have in my .emacs

  (setq tramp-auto-save-directory "/tmp")

> I would prefer to put #todo# in the same subdir as todo... and
> this would seem to make the most sense as the default for
> everyone.

Yes indeed (the speed issue aside).  I am not sure how to do that,
the naive

  (setq tramp-auto-save-directory (pwd))

wont work due to the semantics of evaluation in Lisp, I think.
It will evaluate (pwd) at start-up and then assign that value
to the variable.

Probably there is a standard way to get "dynamically" the working
directory.  Any suggestions?

--
Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the
people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so

* Re: tramp error: Opening output file: no such file or directory, /usr/src/packages/BUILD/emacs-21.3/src/#todo#
@ 2005-10-05 15:05 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2005-10-05 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs

ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:

> A few days I finally got tramp installed and working.  V.2.1.3.  It
> connects and opens up files and directories (dired) fine.  Then just
> now, while editing a file (named todo) with it, I got this error message
> in the minibuffer:
>
> Opening output file: no such file or directory,
> /usr/src/packages/BUILD/emacs-21.3/src/#todo#
>
> From the little I know of emacs, I'm guessing that tramp/emacs is
> trying to save a temporary file and doesn't have write permission in the
> subdir it's configured to do this in.  (It's kind of nuts to have this
> subdir as the default for this.)  How do I change this?  I would prefer
> to put #todo# in the same subdir as todo... and this would seem to make
> the most sense as the default for everyone.

Read the Tramp manual, section "Auto-save and Backup". It explains
your problem. The solution should be

 (setq auto-save-file-name-transforms nil)

> tnx,
> ken

Best regards, Michael.