* Aspell and Emacs
@ 2004-01-28  3:06 Chris Swoyer
From: Chris Swoyer @ 2004-01-28  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just downloaded and installed cocoAspell 1.4.1. I am using
enhanced carbon emacs (under Mac's OS 10.3.2).

1. what do I need to insert in my .emacs file so Emacs will use
    Aspell (when I installed things I moved a file called
    Spelling.prefPane to the  "PreferencePanes" subfolder of
    /Library -- but it didn't yield a file named Aspell or the
    like.

  2. Do I need to add anything to get Aspell to work from the
    command menu for LaTeX (at present I have the following line,
    which came with the set-up:

  (list "Spell" "<ignored>" 'TeX-run-ispell-on-document nil nil)

---

Thanks,
CS

* Re: Aspell and Emacs
@ 2004-01-28 21:50 ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2004-01-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mit Jan 28 2004 at 04:06, "Chris Swoyer" <fswoyer@cox.net> wrote:

> I just downloaded and installed cocoAspell 1.4.1. I am using
> enhanced carbon emacs (under Mac's OS 10.3.2).
>
> 1. what do I need to insert in my .emacs file so Emacs will use
>     Aspell (when I installed things I moved a file called
>     Spelling.prefPane to the  "PreferencePanes" subfolder of
>     /Library -- but it didn't yield a file named Aspell or the
>     like.
I don't use Mac, but the following lines in my .emacs work well both
on Windows and on Linux:
;;; Spelling
(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
(autoload 'flyspell-mode "flyspell" "On-the-fly spelling." t)
(require 'ispell)

HTH
Martin
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* Re: Aspell and Emacs
@ 2004-01-28 22:46   ` Chris Swoyer
From: Chris Swoyer @ 2004-01-28 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Emacs needs to know where the aspell program is,
and when I installed it I don't seem to have ended up with
an application named aspell. So I need to get something
in a workable path and then tell Emacs what the path is.

Chris

@ 2004-01-28 23:18 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2004-01-28 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Swoyer wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed cocoAspell 1.4.1. I am using
> enhanced carbon emacs (under Mac's OS 10.3.2).
>
> 1. what do I need to insert in my .emacs file so Emacs will use
>     Aspell
Are you using Fink? I added the following contribution recently to
<url: http://emacro.sf.net/ > for Mac users.

Hmm. I bet I can change the first line to simply
	(when (file-readable-p "/sw/bin")
as well as drop the defun declaration...

;;__________________________________________________________________________
;;;;		Fink Paths
(when (and (file-readable-p "/sw/bin") (file-exists-p "/sw/sbin"))
   (defvar shell-bin-path
     '("/sw/bin" "/sw/sbin")
     "The paths where fink binaries can be found")

   (defun fix-shell-paths nil
     (if (and (boundp 'exec-path) (listp exec-path))
	(setq exec-path (append shell-bin-path exec-path))
       (setq exec-path shell-bin-path)))

   (fix-shell-paths))

* Re: Aspell and Emacs
@ 2004-01-29  0:30   ` Chris Swoyer
From: Chris Swoyer @ 2004-01-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not using fink (everything I have came via i-Installer + Emacs +
TexShop. It would
be nice to solve this with just these, but if fink is a good way to do so,
I'll give it
a shot.

Many thanks,
Chris

"Bruce Ingalls" <bingalls@fit-zones.NO-SPAM.com> wrote in message
> Chris Swoyer wrote:
> > I just downloaded and installed cocoAspell 1.4.1. I am using
> > enhanced carbon emacs (under Mac's OS 10.3.2).
> >
> > 1. what do I need to insert in my .emacs file so Emacs will use
> >     Aspell
> Are you using Fink? I added the following contribution recently to
> <url: http://emacro.sf.net/ > for Mac users.
>
> Hmm. I bet I can change the first line to simply
> (when (file-readable-p "/sw/bin")
> as well as drop the defun declaration...

;;__________________________________________________________________________
> ;;;; Fink Paths
> (when (and (file-readable-p "/sw/bin") (file-exists-p "/sw/sbin"))
>    (defvar shell-bin-path
>      '("/sw/bin" "/sw/sbin")
>      "The paths where fink binaries can be found")
>
>    (defun fix-shell-paths nil
>      (if (and (boundp 'exec-path) (listp exec-path))
> (setq exec-path (append shell-bin-path exec-path))
>        (setq exec-path shell-bin-path)))
>
>    (fix-shell-paths))

* Re: Aspell and Emacs
@ 2004-01-29  1:35     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-01-29  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chris Swoyer" <fswoyer@cox.net> writes:

> Thanks, Emacs needs to know where the aspell program is, and when I
> installed it I don't seem to have ended up with an application named
> aspell. So I need to get something in a workable path and then tell
> Emacs what the path is.

Have you tried "which" in Terminal for ispell, aspell and
cocoaspell?  ALso, the cocoAspell home page appears to suggest that
the application installs in ~/Library/Services or /Library/Services.
You could check there.

You should also be able to install the normal aspell and call it from
Emacs of any variety, Aqua or X11.

* Re: Aspell and Emacs
@ 2004-01-29 20:17   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-29 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Ingalls wrote:

> Are you using Fink? I added the following contribution recently to
> <url: http://emacro.sf.net/ > for Mac users.
>
> Hmm. I bet I can change the first line to simply
>     (when (file-readable-p "/sw/bin")

I suggest:

	(when (and (file-directory-p "/sw/bin") (file-readable-p "/sw/bin"))

> as well as drop the defun declaration...

Definitely.  And is there any situation in which exec-path is not bound or its
value is not a list?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* aspell and emacs
@ 2004-12-31  9:28 Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2004-12-31  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I know that by setting

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")

emacs uses the aspell program instead of ispell. I don't know however
how to make emacs aware of a new dictionary. Specifically I just
installed the greek aspell dictionary and I have no idea how to
make emacs aware of the fact.

Any help and/or pointing to specific documentation will be greatly
appreciated.

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius

* Re: aspell and emacs
@ 2004-12-31 10:31 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2004-12-31 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:28:53 +0000, Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
>
> emacs uses the aspell program instead of ispell. I don't know however
> how to make emacs aware of a new dictionary. Specifically I just
> installed the greek aspell dictionary and I have no idea how to
> make emacs aware of the fact.

You should read the help for variables `ispell-dictionary-alist',
`ispell-dictionary' `ispell-local-dictionary' and the function
`(ispell-change-dictionary'. You may also need to set
`emacs.pane.menubar.font' and `emacs.menu.popup.font' in your
.Xdefaults to a font that can display greek letters.

An example for how to set the it to use the Hebrew dictionary is:

    (require 'ispell)

    ;; Tell emacs what constitutes a word.
    (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-alist
                 '("hebrew8"
                   "[a-zA-Z\340-\372]"                 ;Latin and Hebrew
                   "[^a-zA-Z\340-\372]"
                   "['\"]" t ("-B") nil iso-8859-8))   ;Hebrew charset

    (setq ispell-dictionary "hebrew8")
    (ispell-change-dictionary "hebrew8")
    (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "hebrew8")

    ;; Adding the Hebrew dictionary to ispell menu
    (if (fboundp 'define-key-after)
        (define-key-after ispell-menu-map [ispell-select-hebrew8]
          '("Select Hebrew8 Dict" . (lambda()
                                      (interactive)
                                      (ispell-change-dictionary "hebrew8")))
          'american))

My .Xdefaults has:
emacs.pane.menubar.font:  -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso8859-8
emacs.menu.popup.font:    -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso8859-8

The Hebrew speller (hspell) is the the work of Dan Kenigsberg and Nadav
Har'El. The site URL: http://ivrix.org.il/projects/spell-checker/ (this
page is not accessible just now, but the hspell files are also here:
http://sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=99645&package_id=107592 .

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: aspell and emacs
@ 2004-12-31 22:43   ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2004-12-31 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:31:27PM +0200, Ehud Karni wrote:
>-- 8< --
> An example for how to set the it to use the Hebrew dictionary is:
>
>     (require 'ispell)
>
>     ;; Tell emacs what constitutes a word.
>     (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-alist
>                  '("hebrew8"
>                    "[a-zA-Z\340-\372]"                 ;Latin and Hebrew
>                    "[^a-zA-Z\340-\372]"
>                    "['\"]" t ("-B") nil iso-8859-8))   ;Hebrew charset
>
>     (setq ispell-dictionary "hebrew8")
>     (ispell-change-dictionary "hebrew8")
>     (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "hebrew8")
>
>     ;; Adding the Hebrew dictionary to ispell menu
>     (if (fboundp 'define-key-after)
>         (define-key-after ispell-menu-map [ispell-select-hebrew8]
>           '("Select Hebrew8 Dict" . (lambda()
>                                       (interactive)
>                                       (ispell-change-dictionary "hebrew8")))
>           'american))

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't help me as I was
looking specifically for help with aspell (and *not* ispell). The
greek dictionaries for ispell are outdated and I can't make them to
work with ispell anyway :(. There are greek dictionaries for aspell
and they work pretty good, so I wanted to use them in emacs.

I tried the solution you propose and it didn't work. The name of the
greek dictionary is "el" so when I tried your solution when I try to
spell check a buffer I get

  Starting new Ispell process...
  ispell-init-process: Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/el" is not in
  the proper format.

Now the funny thing is that after that if I evaluate

     (setq ispell-dictionary "american")
     (ispell-change-dictionary "american")
     (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "american")

and try to ispell a buffer I get a very similar message

  Starting new Ispell process...
  ispell-init-process: Error: The file
  "/usr/lib/aspell/english-med-only" is not in the proper format.

However if, instead, I use the menu and select the default dictionary
everything works just fine. When I do the same with the "el"
dictionary, ie if I set it to be the default and then select "default"
from the menu, I get an other error message

  ispell-process-line: Ispell misalignment: word `Faut' point 722;
  probably incompatible versions

Probably I am doing something stupid.

Thanks anyway
N.A.
--

@ 2005-01-01 10:40     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-01-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:43:23 +0000
> From: Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org>
>
> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't help me as I was
> looking specifically for help with aspell (and *not* ispell). The
> greek dictionaries for ispell are outdated and I can't make them to
> work with ispell anyway :(. There are greek dictionaries for aspell
> and they work pretty good, so I wanted to use them in emacs.
>
> I tried the solution you propose and it didn't work. The name of the
> greek dictionary is "el" so when I tried your solution when I try to
> spell check a buffer I get
>

>   Starting new Ispell process...
>   ispell-init-process: Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/el" is not in
>   the proper format.

Please provide a more complete description of your ispell.el setup, in
particular how did you tell ispell.el to invoke aspell instead of the
default ispell.  (IIRC, aspell comes with a shell script called
"ispell" that makes aspell more compatible with ispell; did you try
using that script?)

Btw, it's possible that I missed something, but I cannot find the
error message like the above anywhere in ispell.el.  Can you trace
where it is coming from?

* Re: aspell and emacs
@ 2005-01-02 13:04     ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2005-01-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:43:23 +0000, Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't help me as I was
> looking specifically for help with aspell (and *not* ispell). The
> greek dictionaries for ispell are outdated and I can't make them to
> work with ispell anyway :(. There are greek dictionaries for aspell
> and they work pretty good, so I wanted to use them in emacs.

I work with aspell too (it is called from hspell). The `ispell' is
the emacs package, not the external program.

You have to add:
    (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
and everything will be OK (I hope).

> I tried the solution you propose and it didn't work. The name of the
> greek dictionary is "el" so when I tried your solution when I try to
> spell check a buffer I get
>

>   Starting new Ispell process...
>   ispell-init-process: Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/el" is not in
>   the proper format.
>
> Now the funny thing is that after that if I evaluate
>
>      (setq ispell-dictionary "american")
>      (ispell-change-dictionary "american")
>      (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "american")
>
> and try to ispell a buffer I get a very similar message
>
>   Starting new Ispell process...
>   ispell-init-process: Error: The file
>   "/usr/lib/aspell/english-med-only" is not in the proper format.
>
> However if, instead, I use the menu and select the default dictionary
> everything works just fine. When I do the same with the "el"
> dictionary, ie if I set it to be the default and then select "default"
> from the menu, I get an other error message
>
>   ispell-process-line: Ispell misalignment: word `Faut' point 722;
>   probably incompatible versions
>
> Probably I am doing something stupid.

It seems to me you work with the `ispell' program with the `aspell'
dictionaries.

ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 Insurance agencies   (USA) voice mail and   X   Against   HTML   Mail
 http://www.mvs.co.il  FAX:  1-815-5509341  / \
 GnuPG: 98EA398D <http://www.keyserver.net/>    Better Safe Than Sorry

* Re: aspell and emacs, SOLVED
@ 2005-01-03 21:08 ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-01-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I now I understand what was wrong. I had a broken aspell
installation which worked for certain options (for example --lang el)
but not with the option that ispell.el sends.  The error messages were
from aspell itself.  The replies by ehud and Eli Zaretskii made me
look further and unearth the misconfiguration. Now aspell is working
fine with or without emacs.

Thanks for your help.

For future reference here are the details.
Similarly to ehud I evaluate

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
    (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-alist
                 '("el"
                   "[a-zA-Z``A_long_list_of_octal_characters'']"
                   "[^a-zA-Z``A_long_list_of_octal_characters'']"
                   "['\"]" t ("latin/greek") nil iso-8859-7))

    (setq ispell-dictionary "el")
    (ispell-change-dictionary "el")
    (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "el")

where ``A_long_list_of_octal_characters'' is a list of all characters
used by modern greek. I generated the list by evaluating

(insert
      (mapconcat (lambda (c) (format "\\%o" (multibyte-char-to-unibyte
      c)))
                 "List_of_greek_characters"))

where I typed the "List_of_greek_characters" using the input-method
"greek" from Mule. (I found this in Emacs Wiki).

If anybody wants to have the list of octals itself I can provide it.