* running emacs on a usb disk
@ 2004-08-29 19:45 Bill Kranec
From: Bill Kranec @ 2004-08-29 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am a kind of new emacs user, and I have been experimenting with trying to run emacs standalone from a USB flash drive on Windows XP.  Is it possible to make emacs load my .emacs file from a relative path on the USB disk, rather than looking in Windows' PATH or registry settings?  Right now emacs looks for everything in C:\.  I have tried reading through the user manual and some online resources, but I didn't see anything that I thought directly applied to this.

Thanks for any help you can give, I really appreciate it.

Bill

* Re: running emacs on a usb disk
       [not found] <mailman.594.1093809069.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-29 20:14 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-08-29 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 29 2004, Bill Kranec wrote:

> Is it possible to make emacs load my .emacs file from a relative
> path on the USB disk, rather than looking in Windows' PATH or
> registry settings?  Right now emacs looks for everything in C:\.

Setting HOME to f:\some\path should be enough (assuming your .emacs is
f:\some\path\.emacs).

You can find more info on this in the Gnus FAQ[1], question 3.2 (just
read ~/.emacs instead of ~/.gnus there).

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://my.gnus.org/faq/ or
    (info "(gnus)[3.2]") if you have Gnus 5.10 installed.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: running emacs on a usb disk
@ 2004-08-29 21:43 ` Bill Kranec
       [not found] ` <mailman.601.1093816152.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bill Kranec @ 2004-08-29 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:45:34 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Bill Kranec <billk@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Thanks for the useful info and links, but I had something a little bit different in mind.  The fixes you suggested will work on my personal computer, but what I would like is to be able to plug the usb disk into any computer, and launch emacs with my  settings without changing anything on that computer.  (In other words, run emacs entirely from the removeable drive.)  Is this even possible?

Thanks Again,

Bill

@ 2004-08-30  0:17 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-08-30  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Kranec <billk@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I am a kind of new emacs user, and I have been experimenting with
> trying to run emacs standalone from a USB flash drive on Windows XP.
> Is it possible to make emacs load my .emacs file from a relative
> path on the USB disk, rather than looking in Windows' PATH or
> registry settings? Right now emacs looks for everything in C:\. I
> have tried reading through the user manual and some online
> resources, but I didn't see anything that I thought directly applied
> to this.

Read about "site-start.el" and "default.el" here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Init-File.html

--
Johan Bockgård

@ 2004-08-30 10:22   ` Miguel Frasson
From: Miguel Frasson @ 2004-08-30 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Kranec <billk@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Thanks for the useful info and links, but I had something a little bit
> different in mind.  The fixes you suggested will work on my personal
> computer, but what I would like is to be able to plug the usb disk into
> any computer, and launch emacs with my settings without changing
> anything on that computer.  (In other words, run emacs entirely from the
> removeable drive.)  Is this even possible?

Hi

Try to write a bat file that call emacs with some setting that does what
you want (you can store that on the usb device), and them call that when
you plug your usb device.

Miguel

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~frasson

* Re: running emacs on a usb disk
@ 2004-08-30 19:33   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-08-30 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Bockgård wrote:

 > Read about "site-start.el" and "default.el" here:
 > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Init-File.html

Since site-run-file (site-start.el) is loaded before ~/.emacs
(user-init-file) but default.el is loaded after it, I think what the
OP needs to to is set user-init-file within site-start.el:

(setq user-init-file "f:\\some\\path\\.emacs")

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2004-09-07 12:47 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-09-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Kranec <billk@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I am a kind of new emacs user, and I have been experimenting with
> trying to run emacs standalone from a USB flash drive on Windows XP.
> Is it possible to make emacs load my .emacs file from a relative
> path on the USB disk, rather than looking in Windows' PATH or
> registry settings?  Right now emacs looks for everything in C:\.  I
> have tried reading through the user manual and some online
> resources, but I didn't see anything that I thought directly applied
> to this.

Emacs reads default.el and site-start.el, too.  You could put your
config in those files.  They are loaded from load-path.

Kai