* Trying to merge two files with emacs... need help!
@ 2004-05-12  3:25 Gary Z
From: Gary Z @ 2004-05-12  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to emacs and I'm trying to use it to merge two files into one.
Some time ago, I watched a co-worker step through a file and
selectively merge changes into it from another file. Unfortunately, I
don't recall how he did it! Currently, I'm opening a file with emacs,
selecting diff (2 files) from the menu, specifying the current file
and the file I want to merge into the current file. I hit the space
bar and the first difference is displayed. I am able to accept what is
in buffer a or buffer b, but I can't figure out how to combine both of
them. The buffers look something like this:

Buffer A
here is the first line.
here is the second line.

Buffer B
here is the third line.
here is the fourth line.

The result that I want is:

here is the first line.
here is the second line.
here is the third line.
here is the fourth line.

Any ideas on how I can do this? I guess it's tricky because emacs
views it as a conflict, but I want to combine everything, not choose
one or the other.

Thanks,
Gary

* Re: Trying to merge two files with emacs... need help!
@ 2004-05-12  6:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4725.1084338189.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-12  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: gzimak@yahoo.com (Gary Z)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 11 May 2004 20:25:04 -0700
>
> I'm new to emacs and I'm trying to use it to merge two files into one.
> Some time ago, I watched a co-worker step through a file and
> selectively merge changes into it from another file. Unfortunately, I
> don't recall how he did it! Currently, I'm opening a file with emacs,
> selecting diff (2 files) from the menu, specifying the current file
> and the file I want to merge into the current file.

I hope that was a typo, and you actually meant to say that you select
"Merge" from the menu bar, not "Diff".

@ 2004-05-12 11:50   ` Gary Z
From: Gary Z @ 2004-05-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.4725.1084338189.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> > From: gzimak@yahoo.com (Gary Z)
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 11 May 2004 20:25:04 -0700
> >
> > I'm new to emacs and I'm trying to use it to merge two files into one.
> > Some time ago, I watched a co-worker step through a file and
> > selectively merge changes into it from another file. Unfortunately, I
> > don't recall how he did it! Currently, I'm opening a file with emacs,
> > selecting diff (2 files) from the menu, specifying the current file
> > and the file I want to merge into the current file.
>
> I hope that was a typo, and you actually meant to say that you select
> "Merge" from the menu bar, not "Diff".

It actually was a typo, but not the one you suggested. I'm chosing
"Compare Two files" from the menu. I was trying not to use Merge,
since I wanted more control over how conflicts are handled. Am I going
about it the wrong way?

@ 2004-05-12 12:21 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2004-05-12 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Z <gzimak@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

If what you are doing isn't different from your example, you can use insert file.  Just open new buffer C, hit cntrl-x, then i, type fileA.  The do the same to insert fileB right after A.  If you're trying to inter-mix lines from A and lines from B, that's a different stotry ...

* Re: Trying to merge two files with emacs... need help!
@ 2004-05-12 20:42     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-12 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: gzimak@yahoo.com (Gary Z)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 12 May 2004 04:50:45 -0700
>
> It actually was a typo, but not the one you suggested. I'm chosing
> "Compare Two files" from the menu. I was trying not to use Merge,
> since I wanted more control over how conflicts are handled. Am I going
> about it the wrong way?

I think you need to select "Merge" and then "Files".  You will have
full control on how conflicts are handled.

* Re: Trying to merge two files with emacs... need help!
@ 2004-05-12 20:44     ` LEE Sau Dan
From: LEE Sau Dan @ 2004-05-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Gary> It actually was a typo, but not the one you suggested. I'm
    Gary> chosing "Compare Two files" from the menu. I was trying not
    Gary> to use Merge, since I wanted more control over how conflicts
    Gary> are handled. Am I going about it the wrong way?

So, type M-x ediff-merge-files RET

Follow the prompts.  In the  command window (very small), type '?' for
an  elaborate  help  screen.   A  little bit  experimenting  with  the
commands listed in the help screen should be enough to discover how to
do things.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de