* Unable to Build Emacs in latest 10.3 "powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0"
@ 2004-02-02 23:35 Dane Fundan
From: Dane Fundan @ 2004-02-02 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

hey this is my first time ever using a newsgroup so
dont flame the n00b, just lightly roast :)

first, i updated my G5 running 10.3 to the lastest and
greatest via software update.
secondly, i updated dev tools with most recent patch.
i then downloaded the lastest stable (i think) version
of emacs - version 21.3 (filename emacs-21.3.gar.tz),
from savahanna's
i unpacked it into the hardrive and then ran
configure. it threw this error message: "checking host
system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0
configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to
`powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0' systems.
Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration
names."
i then opened up the machines file, which told me to
properly configure for Apple PowerPC to edit
"src/m/macppc.h" and remove an /if 0 and /endif from
the last block of code. I did that, and after saving
the file, i reran congifure. I got the same error
message. I have verifyied that i have done exactly
what I have laid out here, and nothing else

Any suggestions? I need to get this built and running
as soon as I can :)
thanks,
john

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

* Re: Unable to Build Emacs in latest 10.3 "powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0"
@ 2004-02-03  0:35 ` Emory Smith
From: Emory Smith @ 2004-02-03  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

i use fink's emacs.  you wont get the very latest, but i think its well
worth it for the ease of installation/update.

if you have fink, just type "fink install emacs21" at the prompt.

if you dont have fink, heres what to do:

1. make sure you have apples x11 installed (from apple dev tools)
2. download and install fink binary
(http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php)
3. in the terminal, type "fink install emacs21"

this will give you emacs 21.2  (note that you can get 21.3 from the
'unstable' tree, but i dont recommend it, as ive had some problems with
it on panther).  if you want bells and whistles, browse the packages at
http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/index.php

if you run into problems, try
http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/bundled/install.php
http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/fink/
(or feel free to email me)

(by the way, emacs 21.4 is expected to be fully os x compatible (ie w/o
fink) but we must be patient.)

       [not found] <mailman.1753.1075766624.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-03  5:46 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-02-03  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dane Fundan <malakye3d@yahoo.com> writes:

> first, i updated my G5 running 10.3 to the lastest and greatest via
> software update.  secondly, i updated dev tools with most recent
> patch.  i then downloaded the lastest stable (i think) version of
> emacs - version 21.3 (filename emacs-21.3.gar.tz), from savahanna's
> i unpacked it into the hardrive and then ran configure. it threw
> this error message: "checking host system
> type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0 configure: error: Emacs hasn't
> been ported to `powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0' systems.

> Any suggestions? I need to get this built and running as soon as I
> can :)

OK-

It will build under 10.3.2 with XCode 1.1- I've done it.

1.  Did you get it from CVS?  You need the CVS version because that's
    the one with the patches needed to compile on OS X.

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/

2. Do you want to compile it run under Aqua or under X11?  There's a
   special set of flags for ./configure to make this choice.

3.  If you want it to run under Aqua, there are several prebuilt
    binaries to choose from- from plain vanilla Emacs to "enhanced"
    Emacs with AucTeX and such.

Start out with Andrew Choi's Web site:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/

and read his instruction on how to get and compile Emacs for OS X at:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/stories/obtaining-and-building.html

Note that there are changes:  you do not have to get Texinfo first
as that's already installed in 10.3.2; the specific CVS command
is (or at least was):

  cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emac

but ISTR that it changed; however, the CVS Web site gives the same
command arguments.  The whole sequence looks like:

  cd ..
  export CVS_RSH="ssh"
  cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

  cd emacs
  ./configure --with-carbon --without-x
  make bootstrap
  sudo make install

Note that " ./configure --with-x --without-carbon" will build Emacs
for X11 instead of building a Carbon version for Aqua.  That is
launched from within an xterm with the command "emacs"; you have to
have launched X11.app first.

Hope this helps!