Kai Grossjohann writes: >ulrich@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Ulrich Neumerkel) writes: > >> To me this seems to be some kind of boot strap problem: In order to >> mention ä one needs to be in a Latin-1 language environment etc. > >Well, C-x 8 " a seems easy enough to type if you need that character. This is not about typing in other characters but referring to them in .el-Files >Since ä is a Latin-1 character, what's the point of making this "key" >available to non-Latin-1 users? This is more about particular keyboard layouts. >;; -*- coding: latin-1; -*- >(global-set-key (kbd "C-ä") 'dabbrev-expand) > >Does this work? Yes, this is definitely better than what I had before, but it is not what my post was about. If latin-1 would be everything, then this would be perfect. If I understand the situation correctly you need for any encoding you care a separate file to define the appropriate bindings. Right? The point would be to be able to refer to different encodings in the same file. -- Ulrich Neumerkel http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ulrich/