* Re: FW: commit problem with cvs mode
       [not found] <mailman.8128.1055893751.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-18  3:20 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8145.1055935744.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-18  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I do  not think  it's so important  because adding  a line in  my .emacs
> solves the problem, so I will not  fill a bug against emacs nor jde, but

And you've bumped into this problem exactly because people before
reacted just like you're reacting now.  If people don't complain
about the problems they encounter, they never get fixed.

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-18 10:59   ` Arnaud Vandyck
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8145.1055935744.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-06-18 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
> > I do not think it's so  important because adding a line in my .emacs
> > solves the problem, so I will  not fill a bug against emacs nor jde,
> > but
>
> And you've bumped into this problem exactly because people before
> reacted just like you're reacting now.  If people don't complain
> about the problems they encounter, they never get fixed.

Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
have to do.  I warn about the problem,  but I do not think it's  a bug I
have to fill against the Debian package... or maybe a wishlist.

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.

@ 2003-06-18 16:26     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
> have to do.  I warn about the problem,  but I do not think it's  a bug I
> have to fill against the Debian package... or maybe a wishlist.

The problem is that you put "export CVS=ssh" into some shell init file
(~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile, I guess) and that it didn't take
effect for programs started under Gnome or whatever you're using.

At least that's my understanding.
--
This line is not blank.

@ 2003-06-18 18:49     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I

The problem has nothing to do with CVS_RSH, it's got to do with
envvars not being inherited everywhere.  It can screw up any program
in any number of ways.  Typically you get problems like

   "I can start `foo' just fine from the shell, but Netscape says it
   can't find it"

-- Stefan

* envvars not being inherited everywhere (was: Re: commit problem with cvs mode)
@ 2003-06-19 22:04       ` Arnaud Vandyck
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-06-19 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1015 bytes --]

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
> > Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
>
> The problem has nothing to do with CVS_RSH, it's got to do with
> envvars not being inherited everywhere.  It can screw up any program
> in any number of ways.  Typically you get problems like
>
>    "I can start `foo' just fine from the shell, but Netscape says it
>    can't find it"

OK, sorry  if I've been rude, now  I understand the problem  and I think
you  both (Kai and  Stefan) are  right. Do  you have  some link  or more
information so I can send to the package maintainer?

Maybe help me to describe the  problem with enough precision. I like the
way Stefan points it:

                     "it's got  to do  with envvars not  being inherited
                     everywhere.   It can  screw up  any program  in any
                     number of ways".

Thanks for your help

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: Message/Rfc822, Size: 1017 bytes --]

From: kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann)
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: commit problem with cvs mode
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:26:38 +0200

Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
> have to do.  I warn about the problem,  but I do not think it's  a bug I
> have to fill against the Debian package... or maybe a wishlist.

The problem is that you put "export CVS=ssh" into some shell init file
(~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile, I guess) and that it didn't take
effect for programs started under Gnome or whatever you're using.

At least that's my understanding.
--
This line is not blank.

[-- Attachment #3: Type: Message/Rfc822, Size: 831 bytes --]

From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: 18 Jun 2003 14:49:11 -0400