* commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-15 16:51 Arnaud Vandyck
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-06-15 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I think I'am having some troubles with  the commit in cvs mode. I have a
project on sourceforge and it  takes times and times to commit ("waiting
process to die" I think) but when I do it in a console, it's rather fast
and ok!?

Any idea of what happens?

Here are my system informations (same problem with a Debian/ppc)

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux vbstefi30.fapse.ulg.ac.be 2.4.20-1-686 #1 Sat Mar 22 13:16:21 EST 2003 i686
Locale: LANG=fr_BE, LC_CTYPE=fr_BE (ignored: LC_ALL set)

Versions of packages emacs21 depends on:
ii  emacs21-common            21.3-1         The GNU Emacs editor's common infr
ii  libc6                     2.3.1-17       GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libjpeg62                 6b-7           The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG
ii  libncurses5               5.3.20030510-1 Shared libraries for terminal hand
ii  libpng12-0                1.2.5.0-3      PNG library - runtime
ii  libtiff3g                 3.5.7-2        Tag Image File Format library
ii  xaw3dg                    1.5-23         Xaw3d widget set
ii  xlibs                     4.2.1-6        X Window System client libraries
ii  zlib1g                    1:1.1.4-12     compression library - runtime

Thanks,

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
       [not found] <mailman.7935.1055695961.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-15 17:03 ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2003-06-15 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> I think I'am having some troubles with  the commit in cvs mode. I have
> a project on sourceforge and it  takes times and times to commit
> ("waiting process to die" I think) but when I do it in a console, it's
> rather fast and ok!?

i know for savannah commits, you need this in your ~/.emacs

  (setenv "CVS_RSH" "ssh")

to use ssh login (i think sourceforge is the same). maybe you forgot to
do this and cvs is trying to use rsh instead of ssh; but then again, i
would really expect cvs to moan if that was the case. try that setenv
anyway.

can you tell us about any relevant parts of your ~/.emacs file?

@ 2003-06-15 18:56 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

> I think I'am having some troubles with  the commit in cvs mode. I have a
> project on sourceforge and it  takes times and times to commit ("waiting
> process to die" I think) but when I do it in a console, it's rather fast
> and ok!?

PCL-CVS doesn't provide error messages by default.  But when you hit
C-c C-c to interrupt the cvs subprocess, then you usually find some
message in the *cvs* buffer.

What do you see?  Does the message tell you what's wrong?
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-16 21:15   ` Arnaud Vandyck
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-06-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Halliday <devnull@example.com> wrote:
> (setenv "CVS_RSH" "ssh")

That solves my problem! many thanks ;)

@ 2003-06-16 21:17   ` Arnaud Vandyck
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-06-16 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
> > I think  I'am having some  troubles with the  commit in cvs  mode. I
> > have a project on sourceforge and it takes times and times to commit
> > ("waiting process  to die" I think) but  when I do it  in a console,
> > it's rather fast and ok!?
>
> PCL-CVS doesn't provide  error messages by default.  But  when you hit
> C-c C-c  to interrupt the cvs  subprocess, then you  usually find some
> message in the *cvs* buffer.
>
> What do you see?  Does the message tell you what's wrong?

Problem solved with Sam's mail, many thanks to both of you :)

@ 2003-06-17 16:58   ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-06-17 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sam Halliday wrote:

> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> I think I'am having some troubles with  the commit in cvs mode. I have
>> a project on sourceforge and it  takes times and times to commit
>> ("waiting process to die" I think) but when I do it in a console, it's
>> rather fast and ok!?
> i know for savannah commits, you need this in your ~/.emacs
>   (setenv "CVS_RSH" "ssh")
It is good to set this variable on shell level so it can be used
not only yb emacs (and pcl-cvs) but also by command line
or other cvs clients.

for example for bash shell add to your .bashrc following

export CVS_RSH=ssh

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc
Open Source Developer

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-17 17:18     ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2003-06-17 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Artur Hefczyc wrote:
> Sam Halliday wrote:
> > Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> >> I think I'am having some troubles with  the commit in cvs mode. I
> >have> a project on sourceforge and it  takes times and times to
> >commit> ("waiting process to die" I think) but when I do it in a
> >console, it's> rather fast and ok!?
> > i know for savannah commits, you need this in your ~/.emacs
> >   (setenv "CVS_RSH" "ssh")
> It is good to set this variable on shell level so it can be used
> not only yb emacs (and pcl-cvs) but also by command line
> or other cvs clients.
>
> for example for bash shell add to your .bashrc following
>
> export CVS_RSH=ssh

in conjunction with setting it in ~/.emacs of course. my emacs is
spawned from within a blackbox menu, and it doesnt pick up shell
variables. thats probably what happened with Arnaud as well, because cvs
commits seemed to work from the command line.

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-17 18:16       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-17 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> in conjunction with setting it in ~/.emacs of course. my emacs is
> spawned from within a blackbox menu, and it doesnt pick up shell
> variables. thats probably what happened with Arnaud as well, because cvs
> commits seemed to work from the command line.

Please report such brain dead setups to whoever is responsible (probably
something like RedHat, Debian, ...).  There should be one place where
you can set all your envvars and have them inherited everywhere.
This place is typically ~/.bash_login or ~/.login but could be something
else.  ~/.bashrc is obviously wrong, although it might work.

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-17 19:52         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-06-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 17 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> There should be one place where you can set all your envvars and
> have them inherited everywhere.  This place is typically
> ~/.bash_login or ~/.login but could be something else.

I'd use `~/.profile' instead of `~/.bash_login'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-17 19:58         ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-06-17 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> in conjunction with setting it in ~/.emacs of course. my emacs is
>> spawned from within a blackbox menu, and it doesnt pick up shell
>> variables. thats probably what happened with Arnaud as well, because cvs
>> commits seemed to work from the command line.
>
> Please report such brain dead setups to whoever is responsible (probably
> something like RedHat, Debian, ...).  There should be one place where
> you can set all your envvars and have them inherited everywhere.
> This place is typically ~/.bash_login or ~/.login but could be something
> else.  ~/.bashrc is obviously wrong, although it might work.
Oh, yes you are right.

At the moment I don't use RH so I can't check it to ensure however
as I remember or many boxes ".bash_profile" is read after login.
So maybe the best place is to put this variables in this file.
Or maybe on some linux distributions this is ".profile" file.

Check this, I am sure one of above should work with window managers.

Artur
--

@ 2003-06-17 20:04         ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2003-06-17 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > in conjunction with setting it in ~/.emacs of course. my emacs is
> > spawned from within a blackbox menu, and it doesnt pick up shell
> > variables. thats probably what happened with Arnaud as well, because
> > cvs commits seemed to work from the command line.
> Please report such brain dead setups to whoever is responsible

the fault is mine in this case i am afraid and not debians... i hadn't
set my window manager to load under a --login shell. silly brain dead
me... however, having emacs set this variable is more important to me
than in the shell, since i only ever use cvs from within emacs and i
have logins on several machines, all with a syncronised ~/.emacs file,
but i dont bother syncronising my .profiles.

* Remap the underlying keyboard definitions
@ 2003-06-18  1:55           ` K T Ligesh
From: K T Ligesh @ 2003-06-18  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:52:17PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
>      On Tue, Jun 17 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:

 Greetings,

 I am facing a peculiar problem...

 In my viper, <C-c> is mapped to switch from insert to vi mode...

 BUt <C-c> is the prefix key for all the major-modes... SO there is a deadlock..

 I want to redifine <C-d> to generate <C-c>; WHen I press <C-d>, -everyone- will get <C-c>.

 A simple define-keying would mean that I have to remapp the hord of the different modules... This way, I can make <C-d>.

 I guess, I have to go one step below define-key..

 And help would be greatly appreciated...

 Thanks in advance..

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com :: http://lxlabs.com ::

* Re: commit problem with cvs mode
@ 2003-06-18 10:59   ` Arnaud Vandyck
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8145.1055935744.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2003-06-18 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:
> > I do not think it's so  important because adding a line in my .emacs
> > solves the problem, so I will  not fill a bug against emacs nor jde,
> > but
>
> And you've bumped into this problem exactly because people before
> reacted just like you're reacting now.  If people don't complain
> about the problems they encounter, they never get fixed.

Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
have to do.  I warn about the problem,  but I do not think it's  a bug I
have to fill against the Debian package... or maybe a wishlist.

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.

* Re: Remap the underlying keyboard definitions
@ 2003-06-18 12:19             ` K T Ligesh
From: K T Ligesh @ 2003-06-18 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 07:25:59AM +0530, K T Ligesh wrote:
>      On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:52:17PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
>      >      On Tue, Jun 17 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>       Greetings,

 Hi, I got the answer from another of the messages in the list..

 Keyboard-translation-maps..

 Yeah, Emacs is pretty neat..

 Thanks..

--

@ 2003-06-18 16:26     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I
> have to do.  I warn about the problem,  but I do not think it's  a bug I
> have to fill against the Debian package... or maybe a wishlist.

The problem is that you put "export CVS=ssh" into some shell init file
(~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile, I guess) and that it didn't take
effect for programs started under Gnome or whatever you're using.

At least that's my understanding.
--
This line is not blank.

@ 2003-06-18 18:49     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Everybody does not  use CVS_RSH=ssh. I submit enough bug  to know what I

The problem has nothing to do with CVS_RSH, it's got to do with
envvars not being inherited everywhere.  It can screw up any program
in any number of ways.  Typically you get problems like

   "I can start `foo' just fine from the shell, but Netscape says it
   can't find it"

-- Stefan