* Re: How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
       [not found] <mailman.7147.1054567208.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02 15:58 ` François Fleuret
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: François Fleuret @ 2003-06-02 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Eladio Ventura wrote on 02 Jun 2003 18:20:40 MET:

> When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it
> expand to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which
> variables I have to set?

In your .Xdefaults (or .Xresource) :

,----
| Emacs.geometry:		85x53+0+0
`----

the +0+0 puts it in the upper-left corner of the screen.

You can take into account changes made after the X server has been
started by using 'xrdb .Xdefaults'

Regards,

--
François Fleuret

* Re: How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
       [not found] <mailman.7147.1054567208.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02 17:11 ` John McCabe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John McCabe @ 2003-06-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:20:40 +0000, Eladio Ventura
<mailhoarder@yahoo.com> wrote:

>When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it expand
>to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which variables I have to set?

Depends on operating system.

On Unix etc you can put it in your .Xdefaults  (as someone mentioned)
or I believe you can add the geometry to the command line using an
alias.

On Windows you can add this as an entry in your Registry under the GNU
Emacs section. The Emacs For Windows FAQ explains this.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

* How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
@ 2003-06-02 17:20 Eladio Ventura
From: Eladio Ventura @ 2003-06-02 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it expand
to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which variables I have to set?
--
"Thinking gives you wrinkles!"
Malibu Stacy, the Simpsons

@ 2003-06-02 18:04 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-06-02 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eladio Ventura wrote:

> When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it expand
> to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which variables I have to set?

You could start emacs with the -g 83x53 command line option.

You could call (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 83) and
(set-frame height (selected-frame) 53) in your .emacs file.

You could add (width . 83) and (height . 53) to the default-frame-alist and/or
initial-frame-alist variables.

You could set the Emacs.geometry: =83x53 resource in your .Xdefaults file.

--

* Re: How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
@ 2003-06-02 18:38   ` Eladio Ventura
From: Eladio Ventura @ 2003-06-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

* François_Fleuret <francois.fleuret@inria.fr> [030602 18:30]:
> > When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it
> > expand to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which
> > variables I have to set?
>
> In your .Xdefaults (or .Xresource) :
>
> ,----
> | Emacs.geometry:		85x53+0+0
> `----
>
> the +0+0 puts it in the upper-left corner of the screen.
>
> You can take into account changes made after the X server has been
> started by using 'xrdb .Xdefaults'
> François Fleuret
Oh wow, that's a whole new world opening up for me! Thanks a whole load,
man!
--

@ 2003-06-02 21:12   ` Eladio Ventura
From: Eladio Ventura @ 2003-06-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> [030602 12:04]:
> You could start emacs with the -g 83x53 command line option.
>

> You could call (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 83) and
> (set-frame height (selected-frame) 53) in your .emacs file.
>
> You could add (width . 83) and (height . 53) to the default-frame-alist
> and/or
> initial-frame-alist variables.
>

> You could set the Emacs.geometry: =83x53 resource in your .Xdefaults file.

Thanks, I love the frame thing, just wasn't sure the main emacs screen
counted as one. I'll hit the manual again, but at least now I know where
to start!
--
"Thinking gives you wrinkles!"
Malibu Stacy, the Simpsons

* Re: How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
       [not found] <mailman.7147.1054567208.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-04 16:09 ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-06-04 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it expand
> to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which variables I have
to set?
Don't kill anybody, but here is how I do it for myself:
;;; Setup default emacs frames (windows) location and size
(setq default-frame-alist
      '((wait-for-wm . nil)
 (top . 0) (left . 0)
 (width . 85) (height . 40)
 (background-color . "gray15")
 (foreground-color . "limegreen")
 (cursor-color . "LightGoldenrod")
 (mouse-color . "yellow")
))
;;; But your first frame can be different than all others
(setq initial-frame-alist
      '((top . 55) (left . 184)
        (width . 100) (height . 40)
))

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc
Open Source Developer

* Re: How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
       [not found] <mailman.7147.1054567208.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-04 20:58 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-06-04 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 02 2003, Eladio Ventura wrote:

> When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it
> expand to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which
> variables I have to set?

I'd recommend to use X resources:

,----[ ~/.Xresources ]
| Emacs.geometry: 85x53
`----

See (info "(emacs)Window Size X").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How To Set Size Of Emacs At Startup?
@ 2003-06-05  9:52   ` Eladio Ventura
From: Eladio Ventura @ 2003-06-05  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Artur Hefczyc <wislaj23@wp.pl> [030604 18:09]:
> > When I launch emacs the screen is 80x30, but I'd KILL to have it expand
> > to a nice size 85x53 at startup. Does anyone know which variables I have
> to set?
> Don't kill anybody, but here is how I do it for myself:
I can't guarantee anything. Emacs is driving me nuts!
> ;;; Setup default emacs frames (windows) location and size
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       '((wait-for-wm . nil)
>  (top . 0) (left . 0)
>  (width . 85) (height . 40)
>  (background-color . "gray15")
>  (foreground-color . "limegreen")
>  (cursor-color . "LightGoldenrod")
>  (mouse-color . "yellow")
> ))
> ;;; But your first frame can be different than all others
> (setq initial-frame-alist
>       '((top . 55) (left . 184)
>         (width . 100) (height . 40)
Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that up!