* XHTML editing mode in emacs?
@ 2002-09-12 14:02 Matthew Vernon
From: Matthew Vernon @ 2002-09-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have emacs 21.2.1, and would like a decent mode for editing XHTML
strict in; any suggestions?

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org

* Re: XHTML editing mode in emacs?
@ 2002-09-12 15:10 ` Charles Muller
       [not found] ` <mailman.1031843413.3623.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-09-12 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew asked:

> I have emacs 21.2.1, and would like a decent mode for editing XHTML
> strict in; any suggestions?

I would assume, from this, that you are not yet using TEI-Emacs. It is a
wonderful mode, that along with SGML/XML, does really nice stuff with
all the variants of strict/transitional in HTML and XHTML, along with
providing much enhanced Unicode and font support. You can download it
from the TEI web site at

http://www.tei-c.org/Software/

If you have any problems with it, the people on the TEI mail list are
very helpful.

Chuck

---------------------------
Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787

* Configuring TEI-Emacs
       [not found]   ` <m31y7zujvg.fsf@hartford-hwp.com>
@ 2002-09-13  4:06     ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-09-13  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: brownh

Haines wrote:

> Your recommendation much appreciated, but I wonder if you would be
> willing t expand a little upon it.

I am using tei-emacs with RedHat Linux 7.3. Here is what you need to do
to make it work:

(1) Download the Unix version of the tei-emacs from
http://www.tei-c.org/Software/tei-emacs.tar.gz

(2) Unpack the tei-emacs directory at some appropriate location such as
/home/your_name/tei

e.g.

$ gunzip /home/your_name/tei/tei-emacs.tar.gz
$ tar xvf /home/your_name/tei/tei-emacs.tar

($ represents the prompt).

(3) Edit your .emacs file to include the TEI extensions. You also need
to comment out any PSGML extensions:

;; PSGML extensions
;;(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" load-path))
;;(autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
;;(autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)

;; TEI extensions
(setq homedir "/home/tfinney/TEI/tei-emacs")
(add-to-list 'load-path (concat homedir "/elisp"))
(load-library "tei-emacs-init")

I add these lines at the end of my .emacs file. You can edit the file
with emacs (e.g. $ emacs /home/your_name/.emacs).

(4) Now you need to install the leim directory; otherwise you get the
"latin-1 prefix" error when you try to open an XML file. There is an RPM
that does the trick: "emacs-leim-21.2-2.i386.rpm". This should be on the
RH Linux 7.3 installation CDs. You need to become su and type

$ rpm -ivh emacs-leim-21.2-2.i386.rpm

(5) If you ever want to go back to PSGML, comment out the TEI extensions
and uncomment the PSGML extensions:

;; PSGML extensions
(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" load-path))
(autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
(autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)

;; TEI extensions
;;(setq homedir "/home/chuck/TEI/tei-emacs")
;;(add-to-list 'load-path (concat homedir "/elisp"))
;;(load-library "tei-emacs-init")

You need to restart emacs before the changes take effect.

Chuck

---------------------------

@ 2002-09-13 14:44 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-09-13 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have emacs 21.2.1, and would like a decent mode for editing XHTML
> strict in; any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you'd consider decent, but the latest sgml-mode.el
in the development version of Emacs has improved its SGML and HTML
support by adding support for XML (as a restriction of SGML).

You can try it out from http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

* Re: Configuring TEI-Emacs
@ 2002-09-13 15:09       ` Haines Brown
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031931613.4463.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-13 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chuch, thanks for the detailed reply.

So when it says to stick the files into /Library, they mean anyplace,
as long as the location is pointed to in ~./emacs. For me, anyway,
that was not at all intuitive ;-(.

Haines

* Re: Configuring TEI-Emacs
@ 2002-09-13 15:38       ` Haines Brown
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031931613.4463.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-13 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chuck,

Your feedback much appreciated. It didn't dawn on my that "Library"
mean any directory of my choosing ;-(

The tei-emacs stuff turns out to be about 80 Mb, which overwhelmed my
/home partition, and so had to symlink to the files. After editing my
.emacs, I should be all set to go.

Thanks!!

Haines

* Re: Configuring TEI-Emacs
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1031931613.4463.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-13 16:30         ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

Sorry for the duplicate message (which I thought was personal, not
going out to everyone).

I managed to get XML going under emacs with tei-emacs, but doing so
upsets my emacs set up.

More specifically, I define my emacs fonts and geometry with a set of
statements in ~/.Xdefaults:

  emacs*bitmapIcon: on
  emacs.Font:*-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-*-12-*
  emacs.geometry:=221x84+0+26
  emacs.toolBar: 0

And define colors in ~/.emacs:

 (set-background-color "linen")
 (set-foreground-color "RoyalBlue4")
 (set-mouse-color "Orchid")
 (set-cursor-color "Orchid")

And then added statements to support tei-emacs:

(setq homedir "/home/brownh/elisp/tei/tei-emacs")
(add-to-list 'load-path (concat homedir "/elisp"))
(load-library "tei-emacs-init")

The last statement (load-library) kills the custom configuration of
geometry and color. Also, emacs no longer starts in text mode. I want the
SGML/XML mode to load only when an .xml file is present in the buffer.

--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com

* Re: Configuring TEI-Emacs
@ 2002-09-13 17:10         ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-09-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Haines,

> So when it says to stick the files into /Library, they mean anyplace,
> as long as the location is pointed to in ~./emacs. For me, anyway,
> that was not at all intuitive ;-(.

It was not for me either--I just got it set up a couple of weeks ago,
and those instructions are something that a guy on the TEI list sent to
me. It is a huge set of files, but once I got it set up, it improved my
Emacs functioning in many ways, besides simply being able to do XML and
XHTML the way one is supposed to. But I am now stuck at the point of
trying to get the XSLT to work (it can't find java), so if you have any
success with that, please let me know.

Chuck