* Customizing default-buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2003-07-29 22:56 Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2003-07-29 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I specify unix as the default coding system for new files? I'm
running emacs 21 under cygwin, and I want new files to be created
unix-mode, not dos-mode. I can't figure out how to change the variable
though.
--
Aaron Davies
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.

* Re: Customizing default-buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2003-07-29 23:13 ` martin
       [not found] ` <mailman.694.1059540868.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: martin @ 2003-07-29 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

i didn't do this before myself. i just found the variables
auto-coding-regexp-alist and auto-coding-alist by

M-x apropos-variable RET -coding- RET

martin

"AD" == Aaron Davies <aaron@avalon.pascal-central.com> writes:
 AD> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
 AD> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:56:48 -0500
 AD>
 AD> How do I specify unix as the default coding system for new files? I'm
 AD> running emacs 21 under cygwin, and I want new files to be created
 AD> unix-mode, not dos-mode. I can't figure out how to change the variable
 AD> though.
 AD> --
 AD> Aaron Davies
 AD> Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.
 AD> "I don't know if it's real or not but it is a myth."
 AD> -Jami JoAnne of alt.folklore.urban, showing her grasp on reality.

--
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: Customizing default-buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2003-07-30  2:56   ` Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2003-07-30  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, but I'm not sure those have anything to do with what I want.
They seem to be ways to specify the coding system to use when reading
existing files; I want to specify the coding system for new files.

--

@ 2003-07-30  5:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.694.1059540868.8231.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-07-30  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: aaron@avalon.pascal-central.com (Aaron Davies)
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:56:48 -0500
>
> How do I specify unix as the default coding system for new files? I'm
> running emacs 21 under cygwin, and I want new files to be created
> unix-mode, not dos-mode. I can't figure out how to change the variable
> though.

Is that an Emacs compiled as a Cygwin application?  If so, I'd expect
it to do what you want by default.

If Emacs is compiled with MinGW or MSVC, then please read about the
untranslated-filesystem feature in the node "Text and Binary" of the
Emacs manual.

* Re: Customizing default-buffer-file-coding-system
@ 2003-07-30 14:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-30 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

aaron@avalon.pascal-central.com (Aaron Davies) writes:

> Thanks, but I'm not sure those have anything to do with what I want.
> They seem to be ways to specify the coding system to use when reading
> existing files; I want to specify the coding system for new files.

default-buffer-file-coding-system seems to be the right variable.
Its documentation points to buffer-file-coding-system which states
that the value is used for writing.
--
~/.signature

@ 2003-07-30 19:45   ` Aaron Davies
From: Aaron Davies @ 2003-07-30 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: aaron@avalon.pascal-central.com (Aaron Davies)
> > Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:56:48 -0500
> >
> > How do I specify unix as the default coding system for new files? I'm
> > running emacs 21 under cygwin, and I want new files to be created
> > unix-mode, not dos-mode. I can't figure out how to change the variable
> > though.
>
> Is that an Emacs compiled as a Cygwin application?  If so, I'd expect
> it to do what you want by default.
>
> If Emacs is compiled with MinGW or MSVC, then please read about the
> untranslated-filesystem feature in the node "Text and Binary" of the
> Emacs manual.

It's "GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-windows98.2222)" by the splash screen.
I also have the cygwin emacs, but it looks like it would take quite a
bit of configuration to get the keyboard and mouse and so on working
right, so I'd prefer to stick with the MSVC version.

Anyway, putting (add-untranslated-filesystem "C:") in my .emacs seems to
solve the problem. Thanks!